- The Celebration of Life for Professor Dallas Willard took place at USC Caruso Catholic Center on Friday, October 4, at 3PM. It commemorated Professor Willard’s achievements contributions as a philosopher and an educator. More information is here: /dallas-willard/
- Scott Soames gave the Hempel Lectures at Princeton in Spring 2013, as well as the Hempel Lectures in Peru.
- Tran Nguyen, one of our outstanding undergraduate philosophy majors at USC, accepted an offer to undertake a Ph.D. in philosophy at Harvard. Congratulations Tran!
- Sam Shpall joined the Yale University Department of Philosophy on a 2-year postdoctoral fellowship. Congratulations Sam!
- Marina Folescu (History of Modern Philosophy, Philosophy of Language and Mind) accepted a tenure track appointment in the University of Missouri-Columbia Department of Philosophy. Congratulations Marina!
- Julia Staffel received USC's Ph.D. Achievement Award, given to USC students with exceptional academic profiles. Only six graduates at USC were given this award this year. Congrats Julia!
- Justin Snedegar (Ethical theory, Metaethics, Practical reasoning) accepted a position as Lecturer in Philosophy at the University of St. Andrews. Congratulations Justin!
- Julia Staffel (Epistemology, Formal Epistemology) was hired by Washington University, St. Louis! Julia starts as an Assistant Professor in January of 2014, after a post-doc at the Australian National University during fall semester of 2013. Congratulations Julia!
- USC Deontic Modality Workshop
Los Angeles, May 20-22, 2013
Deontic or normative modality is a subject of common interest for researchers in several fields, including moral philosophy, metaethics, linguistic semantics, and deontic logic. This workshop brings together leading and creative thinkers in each of these fields in order to advance our collective understanding of this subject.
The keynote address will be given by Angelika Kratzer (Umass-Amherst); other talks will be given by John Broome (Oxford), Frank Jackson (Princeton/ANU), Jeff Horty (Maryland), Paul Portner (Georgetown), Cleo Condoravdi & Sven Lauer (Stanford), Dan Lassiter (Stanford), Aynat Rubinstein (Georgetown), Jennifer Carr (MIT), Paul McNamara (New Hampshire), Joshua Knobe & Zoltan Szabo (Yale), and Malte Willer (Chicago). Additionally, selected work by other innovative scholars will be featured in a poster session. The full program can be viewed at http://www-bcf.usc.edu/~finlay/DeonticModalityWS.pdf.
Registration is free; to register please email email@example.com no later than May 1st . Please also indicate if you wish to attend the conference dinner on Tuesday, May 21st. For further information email either Mark Schroeder (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Steve Finlay (email@example.com).
- Undergraduates joined us for a workshop with business and USC alumnus Paul Reddam, entitled "How to succeed in business with a degree in philosophy," April 5, 2013 from 2-4pm in MHP-106.
- "When Physics Met Finance: A Discussion of the Practical Use of Advanced Mathematics" (28 Mar 2013 at 4pm). A workshop with James Owen Weatherall. Weatherall is Assistant Professor of Philosophy at the University of California at Irvine, and author of The Physics of Wall Street: A Brief History of Predicting the Unpredictable. He will be joined by two commentators: Erik Friedlander (Dean's Professor of Mathematics, USC Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, Former Chair of the Board of Trustees of the American Mathematical Society) and Jacob Soll (Professor of History and Accounting, USC MacArthur Fellow 2012)
- Ed McCann has been awarded the 2012-2013 USC Dornsife Raubenheimer Award. Named in honor of Albert S. Raubenheimer, the award recognizes excellence in teaching, research, and service to the university.
- John Hawthorne accepted a half-time position as Professor of Philosophy. He will be joining us for the next five years, while maintaining his position as the Waynflete Professor of Metaphysical Philosophy at the University of Oxford. He will be at USC for several weeks every Fall and Spring semester, supervising graduate students, leading seminars, and otherwise participating in the general life of the department.
- Andrew Bacon (logic, philosophy of language, metaphysics) joined us in the Spring of 2013 as Assistant Professor, having received his D.Phil. from the University of Oxford.
- Bryan Roberts (philosophy of science, philosophy of physics) joined us as a Provost's Postdoctoral Fellow in the Fall of 2012.
- Kenneth Pearce has received the 2012 USC Dornsife College General Education Graduate Assistant Award.
- John Kwak has received the 2012 USC Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award.
- Lewis Powell has accepted a position as Assistant Professor at the University of Buffalo, SUNY, beginning in 2012-2013.
- Geoff Georgi has been appointed Assistant Professor at West Virginia University, beginning in 2012-2013.
- Eduardo Villanueva has been appointed Lecturer at Pontificia Universidad Catolica del Peru, in Lima, Peru, beginning in 2012-2013.
- Julia Staffel received the USC Dissertation Completion Fellowship for 2012-2013.
- Shyam Nair received the Russell Fellowship for academic year 2012-2013.