- Friday, September 5: A workshop on Kadri Vihvelin's new book, Causes, Laws, and Free Will: Why Determinism Doesn't Matter. The presenters are: Randolph Clarke, Dana Nelkin, Michael Nelson, and Derk Pereboom. The format will be "pre-read" with papers distributed in advance. The event will take place in the Franklin Faculty Lounge on the 4th floor of the law school.
- Congratulations to Andrew Bacon for being awarded the 2014 APA Article Prize for his paper "Quantificational Logic and Empty Names", selected as the best article published by a younger philosopher in 2012 or 2013, and for the paper's selection as one of the ten best philosophy papers of 2013 by The Philosopher's Annual.
- Congratulations to our new PhDs for their new positions beginning 2014-15:
- Ben Lennertz has accepted a position as Visiting Assistant Professor at Davidson College;
- Shyam Nair has accepted a position as Assistant Professor at Lingnan University in Hong Kong;
- Kenny Pearce has accepted a 2-year Lilly postdoctoral fellowship at Valparaiso University;
- Indrek Reiland has accepted a position as Visiting Assistant Professor at Rice University.
- Other graduate news:
- Dan Considine (PhD 2008) has accepted a tenure-track position at Folsom Lake College;
- Hrafn Asgeirsson (PhD 2012) has a postdoctoral fellowship at the University of Iceland, and will be the HLA Hart Visiting Fellow at the University of Oxford in 2014-15.
- Jeff Russell (metaphysics, phil. physics, logic) will be joining our faculty as Assistant Professor in Fall 2014, from the University of Oxford. Welcome Jeff!
- We are delighted to share the news that Gary Watson has been named a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- With regret we announce the passing of one of our faculty, Distinguished Professor Jim Higginbotham. An obituary is here.
- Watch the new video about the department!
- John Hawthorne has accepted a full-time position in our department starting in the fall of 2015. He has already been with us part-time.
- With regret we announce the passing of one of our faculty, Professor Dallas Willard. A Celebration of Life was held at USC in October. To view video from the event, or to sign our online guestbook, please click here.
- Alex Sarch (JD Michigan, PhD Univ of Amherst Mass.) has accepted our two-year postdoctoral fellowship in philosophy of law, starting spring 2014.
- We have a new video describing our unique interdisciplinary major in Philosophy, Politics and Law. Check it out here.