Summer Internship 2015: PERE/CSII Communications Intern
Position Type: Internship (paid)
Desired Start Date: Week of May 18, 2015 or later
Duration: Through early August, possibility of extension to fall semester
Approximate Hours Per Week: 20
PERE/CSII is hiring a Communications Intern for the summer of 2015!
We are looking for candidates who seek to develop, gain valuable experience, and apply their communications skills to help PERE/CSII advance research for social and economic equity, environmental justice, and immigrant rights.
This position will primarily support the Program for Environmental and Regional Equity (PERE) and the Center for the Study of Immigrant Integration (CSII) by promoting the departments through PR/outreach, digital and social media, and traditional media. This is a paid, hourly position with a commitment throughout the summer semester for approximately 20 hours.
The USC Program for Environmental and Regional Equity (PERE) conducts research and facilitates discussions on issues of environmental justice, regional inclusion, and social movement building. CSII at USC seeks to remake the narrative for understand immigrant integration in America. Our intent is to identify and evaluate the mutual benefits of immigrant integration for the native-born and immigrants. Please see CSII's website at http://dornsife.usc.edu/csii
Main duties and responsibilities
The Communications Intern will support the PERE/CSII Communications Specialist and PERE/CSII team by:
• helping to update and develop content for our websites, enewsletters, and social media;
• assisting with PR and publicity activities such as community outreach, media database upkeep, news tracking, and short writing assignments;
• performing communications-related research tasks to support PERE/CSII’s projects;
• supporting various communications projects as needed;
- Candidate should have interpersonal skills necessary to interact and work successfully as a team with staff, faculty, students, and community members. Excellent attention to detail is important, and s/he should be organized, reliable and punctual.
- The Communications Intern must be able to conduct online research efficiently and thoroughly. Experience using social media is necessary. Must be able to take initiative where appropriate and follow verbal and written instructions for complex tasks.
- Must be able to multitask, prioritize and problem solve, meet established deadlines, be punctual and dependable, possess strong organizational skills, and maintain a professional manner. Must have a commitment to social justice, and strong PR and digital writing skills.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities Preferred:
* Undergraduate students with majors in: Communications, English, Journalism, Marketing, Media Relations, Public Relations, Sociology, American Studies & Ethnicity, Public Policy, or Political Science preferred. Desired Class Level(s) Sophomore, Junior, Senior.
* Prefer that candidate have advanced experience with computers and basic image editing (mainly Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access, internet browsers, email, Photoshop, etc).
* Prefer experience working in the University system.
* Prefer (but not required) that candidate is bilingual in Spanish and English, and that s/he has knowledge about Environmental Justice, Regional Equity, Immigrant Integration, and/or Social Movements.
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and three references to Gladys Malibiran, PERE/CSII Communications Specialist: firstname.lastname@example.org.
(No phone calls, please. Incomplete applications will not be considered.)
We are reviewing applications starting April 10th until the position is filled, and will be scheduling interviews immediately with qualified candidates.
If available, please also include in your application either a one page writing sample, or relevant web links that demonstrate your fit for the internship (e.g. a blog post, a published article, tweets, or Facebook posts).
Thank you for your interest in PERE/CSII, we look forward to meeting you!