Young Chemist Receives National Honor
Graduate Student Honored for Her Research
By Kaitlin Solimine
USC College’s Lyudmila Slipchenko, a doctoral student in chemistry, recently received the 2005 Anna Louise Hoffman Award for Outstanding Achievement in Graduate Research by Iota Sigma Pi, the national honor society for women in chemistry. The award, given since 1979, serves to promote the advancement of women in chemistry by recognizing women who have demonstrated superior scholastic achievement and high professional competence.
“The percentage of women Ph.D. recipients in the field of chemistry is now over 30 percent, and chemistry is a large discipline, so this award is a remarkable achievement,” says Hanna Reisler, professor and chair of chemistry in the College, and holder of the Gabilan Chair in Chemistry. “Congratulations are due not only to Lyudmila, but also to Anna Krylov, her terrific adviser who is dedicated to promoting the careers of her students.”
Together, Krylov, associate professor of chemistry, and Slipchenko have published a number of groundbreaking papers about their discovery and study of the first organic tri-radical molecule.
“Lyudmila has demonstrated outstanding intellectual abilities, creativity, self-discipline and excellence in research,” says Krylov. “Her contributions in the field of theoretical chemistry have helped to put USC on the map.”
Slipchenko’s achievements have been recognized at USC as well: In 2004 she was one of three graduate students selected to receive a USC College Doctoral Research Prize and was also the recipient of the Michael J. Dulligan Memorial Research Award at USC.
Slipchenko earned a B.Sc. and M.Sc. with honors from the Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology in 1998 and 2000, respectively.
Related News Items
- Fusing Fun with Diligence September 2, 2014
- Discovery in Helium Droplets August 28, 2014
- An Energetic New Professor August 7, 2014
- World’s Most Influential Scientists July 17, 2014
- Prakash Named ACS Fellow July 14, 2014
- Sanchez’s Vision for Diversity July 10, 2014
- Plugging into a New Battery July 1, 2014
- Capturing CASE Gold June 4, 2014
- USC Dornsife Scholars May 16, 2014
- Our Dazzling Doctorates May 15, 2014
- Academic Honors Convocation April 29, 2014
- Bottjer Earns Top Paleontology Award April 15, 2014
- Warshel Inspires Students April 11, 2014
- Color Him Smart April 1, 2014
- Petitioning Against Discrimination March 21, 2014
- Colorful Keys March 7, 2014
- Haselwandter, Dickman Earn Sloan Fellowships February 20, 2014
- Gioia Honored for His Poetry February 4, 2014
- USC Dornsife Dean Receives Honorary Degree January 30, 2014
- A Presidential Honoree January 28, 2014