An Accolade for History
USC Dornsife's graduate program in history ranked among the nation's top 20 by Education-Portal.com.
The graduate program in history at USC Dana and David Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences was ranked among the top 20 “Best Graduate History Programs in the U.S.” by Education-Portal.com.
“Our entire department came together to make this happen,” said Professor of History Steve Ross, who served as chair of the department from 2003 to 2010.
During the past decade, the USC Dornsife Department of History has been working to create a singular learning experience for students. In addition to recruiting top-flight senior faculty, the graduate program pared down the number of doctoral candidates admitted to 10–12 per cohort. This allows students to work more closely with their advisers and it provides greater funding opportunities, Ross said.
Recruiting top-tier faculty and cultivating well-prepared students “is part of USC’s vision for where we want to be as a university,” he said. “We’re pleased we could realize that vision. It’s been hard work, but we’ve had a lot of support and encouragement from the administration.”
The USC Dornsife graduate program in history offers majors in the history of the United States, China, Japan, Korea, Medieval Europe, Early Modern Europe, Modern Europe, Latin America and the Middle East. Students can choose to further specialize in a wide variety of areas, including pre-modern worlds, law, visual culture, and gender, sexuality, women and the family.
Education-Portal.com is a free, independent education resource on the Web. The site is dedicated to publishing unbiased information on schools, degree programs, careers and online courses.
Related News Items
- Trombley Joins The Huntington December 18, 2014
- Achieving Accountability December 16, 2014
- Art’s Digital Revolution December 16, 2014
- Kamuf Knighted by France December 8, 2014
- The Art and Science of Peppermint December 8, 2014
- Brave New World December 2, 2014
- ‘We Are One People’ December 1, 2014
- Hub of Armenian Studies November 25, 2014
- Recognition for Pratt’s Work November 18, 2014
- The Best of the West November 7, 2014
- Technology and the Humanities October 20, 2014
- $9.7 Million NIH Award October 17, 2014
- My Name Is Water October 16, 2014
- Socially Conscious Actor October 8, 2014
- Schwarz Wins Lifetime Award September 30, 2014
- Chemists Dispel Long-held Notion September 26, 2014
- Getting All Sides September 23, 2014
- Perloff to Receive Humanities Medal September 18, 2014
- Welcome New Faculty September 16, 2014
- Chilton Wins Marine Award September 10, 2014