An Accolade for History
USC Dornsife's graduate program in history ranked among the nation's top 20 by Education-Portal.com.
The graduate program in history at USC Dana and David Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences was ranked among the top 20 “Best Graduate History Programs in the U.S.” by Education-Portal.com.
“Our entire department came together to make this happen,” said Professor of History Steve Ross, who served as chair of the department from 2003 to 2010.
During the past decade, the USC Dornsife Department of History has been working to create a singular learning experience for students. In addition to recruiting top-flight senior faculty, the graduate program pared down the number of doctoral candidates admitted to 10–12 per cohort. This allows students to work more closely with their advisers and it provides greater funding opportunities, Ross said.
Recruiting top-tier faculty and cultivating well-prepared students “is part of USC’s vision for where we want to be as a university,” he said. “We’re pleased we could realize that vision. It’s been hard work, but we’ve had a lot of support and encouragement from the administration.”
The USC Dornsife graduate program in history offers majors in the history of the United States, China, Japan, Korea, Medieval Europe, Early Modern Europe, Modern Europe, Latin America and the Middle East. Students can choose to further specialize in a wide variety of areas, including pre-modern worlds, law, visual culture, and gender, sexuality, women and the family.
Education-Portal.com is a free, independent education resource on the Web. The site is dedicated to publishing unbiased information on schools, degree programs, careers and online courses.
Related News Items
- From Wonder to Detestation August 3, 2015
- Ghost Stories July 30, 2015
- Claudia Rankine Joins English Department July 6, 2015
- Portrait of an Artist in Exile June 19, 2015
- Meet the Fabulous Fulbrights June 8, 2015
- Wonder of the West June 1, 2015
- At the Edge of the Known World June 1, 2015
- Soul of the Machine May 19, 2015
- 2015 Dornsife Scholars Named May 8, 2015
- Renewed Energy April 30, 2015
- Symposium Synergy April 29, 2015
- Strength of Spirit and Mind April 29, 2015
- USC Dornsife Scholars Recognized at Honors Convocation April 23, 2015
- USC Shoah Foundation’s Rob Kuznia Wins Pulitzer Prize April 21, 2015
- USC Mellon Mentoring Awards Recognize Faculty April 17, 2015
- Lauda Receives Simons Fellowship April 14, 2015
- A Century of Voices April 7, 2015
- Dyer Joins English Department March 27, 2015
- Cultivating Curiosity March 23, 2015
- Investigative Historian March 16, 2015