An Accolade for History
USC Dornsife's graduate program in history ranked among the nation's top 20 by Education-Portal.com.
The graduate program in history at USC Dana and David Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences was ranked among the top 20 “Best Graduate History Programs in the U.S.” by Education-Portal.com.
“Our entire department came together to make this happen,” said Professor of History Steve Ross, who served as chair of the department from 2003 to 2010.
During the past decade, the USC Dornsife Department of History has been working to create a singular learning experience for students. In addition to recruiting top-flight senior faculty, the graduate program pared down the number of doctoral candidates admitted to 10–12 per cohort. This allows students to work more closely with their advisers and it provides greater funding opportunities, Ross said.
Recruiting top-tier faculty and cultivating well-prepared students “is part of USC’s vision for where we want to be as a university,” he said. “We’re pleased we could realize that vision. It’s been hard work, but we’ve had a lot of support and encouragement from the administration.”
The USC Dornsife graduate program in history offers majors in the history of the United States, China, Japan, Korea, Medieval Europe, Early Modern Europe, Modern Europe, Latin America and the Middle East. Students can choose to further specialize in a wide variety of areas, including pre-modern worlds, law, visual culture, and gender, sexuality, women and the family.
Education-Portal.com is a free, independent education resource on the Web. The site is dedicated to publishing unbiased information on schools, degree programs, careers and online courses.
Related News Items
- Schwarz Wins Lifetime Award September 30, 2014
- Chemists Dispel Long-held Notion September 26, 2014
- Getting All Sides September 23, 2014
- Perloff to Receive Humanities Medal September 18, 2014
- Welcome New Faculty September 16, 2014
- Chilton Wins Marine Award September 10, 2014
- Thompson and Christe Lauded by ACS September 4, 2014
- Meet the 2014 Provost Postdoctoral Scholars August 28, 2014
- Dean Kay Appoints New Armenian Institute Director and Faculty August 18, 2014
- From Berlin to Baghdad? August 12, 2014
- Estebanico’s Turn to Speak July 29, 2014
- World’s Most Influential Scientists July 17, 2014
- Sanchez’s Vision for Diversity July 10, 2014
- Life Goes On July 2, 2014
- Sanchez Selected AHA-PCB President June 24, 2014
- Capturing CASE Gold June 4, 2014
- Academic Honors Convocation April 29, 2014
- A Case for Balancing Your Checkbook April 28, 2014
- Bottjer Earns Top Paleontology Award April 15, 2014
- From Melville to Medieval India April 3, 2014