Stephan Haas Appointed Vice Dean for Research
USC professor Stephan Haas has been named vice dean for research, effective Jan. 1, it was announced by USC College Dean Howard Gillman.
In his new role, Haas will develop and lead USC College-wide research initiatives, facilitate interdepartmental and cross-school research partnerships, oversee USC College research administration and advise Gillman on allocation of USC College research space and resources.
Haas has been a faculty member in the Department of Physics and Astronomy since 1998. He is a theoretical physicist with research interests in nanoscience, quantum magnetism, unconventional superconductivity and the properties of quantum-many-body systems.
As co-director of the USC Center for Quantum Information Science and Technology, he recently has focused his research on the interface of quantum information theory and condensed matter physics. His research has received support from many agencies, including the National Science Foundation, the Department of Energy, the National Institutes of Health and the Department of Defense.
For the past five years, Haas has been the director of graduate studies in the Department of Physics and Astronomy. He also has been a member of the Center for Excellence in Teaching and has served on the USC College personnel committee, the General Education Committee, the Committee on Academic Programs and Teaching, the University Committee on Academic Review and various strategic planning committees.
Haas has received a National Science Foundation CAREER Award, USC College’s Junior Raubenheimer Award, the General Education Teaching Award and USC’s prestigious Associates Award for Excellence in Teaching. Apart from science, he enjoys performing early music on wind and keyboard instruments as part of the USC Thornton School of Music’s Baroque Sinfonia.
Haas will work with vice dean of faculty Dani Byrd, who will continue to oversee faculty affairs, including recruitment, appointments, promotions, faculty development, merit evaluation, course staffing, leaves and retirements.
Related News Items
- Michelson Center for Convergent Bioscience Ushers in New Era October 23, 2014
- USC Dornsife Recruits Renowned Leaders in Molecular Research October 23, 2014
- Golgi Your Brain October 20, 2014
- In Their Own Words October 8, 2014
- Sugar Linked to Memory Woes October 7, 2014
- In Memoriam: Harriet Herta Forster, 97 October 3, 2014
- Chemists Dispel Long-held Notion September 26, 2014
- In Memoriam: Richard F. Thompson, 84 September 20, 2014
- Converging Science and Engineering September 18, 2014
- Welcome New Faculty September 16, 2014
- Close Look at Baldwin Hills September 16, 2014
- Heidelberg Steers the Ship September 15, 2014
- Chilton Wins Marine Award September 10, 2014
- Whale Mating: In the Hips September 10, 2014
- A Lexicon of the Brain September 2, 2014
- In Memoriam: Darrell Judge, 79 August 29, 2014
- Discovery in Helium Droplets August 28, 2014
- Dutch Lessons on GeoDesign July 31, 2014
- Pinkerton Wins Poster Contest July 29, 2014
- Where Earth and Life Sciences Merge July 24, 2014