Jim Haw Joins ABC Castle Actors in Short Videos for Environmentalism
Navigating Los Angeles without a car is possible and worth the change of habit, just ask ABC Castle television actors Stana Katic and Seamus Dever.
USC College's Jim Haw was tapped for his environmental expertise, and is featured in the videos along with the actors in The Alternative Travel Project.
Katic and Dever gave up their cars for seven days to explore travel accessibility in Los Angeles, to benefit the environment and to enhance personal health.
"I spent half a day on location in downtown L.A. working with Stana Katic, Producer Andrew Carlberg, the Executive Director of the Sierra Club, and the video and sound professionals,” Haw said. “Nathan Fillion (who stars as Richard Castle on the ABC series Castle) came by to say ‘hi’ and told me to keep up the good work."
Dever said when the price of gas hit four dollars a gallon in Los Angeles, he borrowed a bike from a good friend and became known as “that soap opera guy who comes to work on a red bicycle.”
“I could probably afford a huge car that sucks up twelve miles to the gallon and has a huge carbon footprint. But should I? Is that the responsible thing to do? For the planet? For my fellow Los Angelenos? For future generations?” Dever asks. “The answer is No.”
The series is sponsored by the Sierra Club. Haw, Ray R. Irani Chairman of Occidental Petroleum Chair in Chemistry and Professor of Chemistry and Environmental Studies and the director of environmental studies, is a longstanding member of the Sierra Club.
Read more about The Alternative Travel Project at stanakatic.com/atp.
Watch Days 2, 3 and 4:
Related News Items
- In Memoriam: Howard Taylor, 79 May 22, 2015
- Symposium Synergy April 29, 2015
- Lauda Receives Simons Fellowship April 14, 2015
- Internet-like Networks Revealed April 7, 2015
- The Winner in Climate Change? April 7, 2015
- A Change of Heart April 1, 2015
- Hidden Costs March 30, 2015
- Bucky-Balls Become Buckybombs March 27, 2015
- Ehrenreich and Ralph Earn Sloan Fellowships March 4, 2015
- Just Getting Warmed Up March 3, 2015
- Unlocking Pain Relief February 20, 2015
- On Our Best Behavior February 20, 2015
- Waterman Awarded Prestigious Dan David Prize February 11, 2015
- Write on Target February 6, 2015
- Better Cures, Better Care February 5, 2015
- Partners in Sustainability and Environmental Studies February 3, 2015
- Becoming a Giver January 28, 2015
- Diagnosis Success December 4, 2014
- Recognition for Pratt’s Work November 18, 2014
- Small in Stature, Big on Health November 13, 2014