Inauguration of C. L. Max Nikias
In a momentous celebration that drew 7,500 members of the Trojan Family and local community, C. L. Max Nikias was inaugurated as USC’s 11th president on Oct. 15. The former USC executive vice president and provost became president in early August. Nikias succeeded Steven B. Sample, who had led USC since 1991.
The inauguration ceremony’s theme revolved around a quotation from Virgil’s Aeneid, which is inscribed on a plaque at the base of Tommy Trojan — “Here are provided seats of meditative joy, where shall rise again the destined reign of Troy.”
Over the course of his career as a researcher, educator and university administrator, Nikias has earned accolades for his leadership, innovation and fundraising, as well as his ability to build partnerships among varied constituencies.
Nikias is credited with accelerating the university’s recent academic momentum, recruiting new leadership, strengthening the academic medical enterprise, helping attract a series of major donations to the institution, creating innovative cross-disciplinary programs, enhancing USC’s globalization efforts, and increasing support for undergraduate and graduate students.
Nikias’s selection by the Board of Trustees followed an international search process ending in approximately 75 candidates and seven finalists, all of whom were sitting presidents or provosts at major universities.
A visionary of the highest order, Nikias has said: “My vision is to propel USC to reach what I call ‘undisputed elite status.’ When you’ve reached undisputed elite status, there is no argument, there is no doubt, and yes, there is no question you belong in the pantheon of American elite universities.”
Read President C. L. Max Nikias's full inauguration address at usc.edu/president.
Related News Items
- Exploring Arctic Issues August 27, 2015
- Between Coercion and Resistance August 25, 2015
- Institutionalizing the Primitive August 20, 2015
- Conquering the Big Apple August 19, 2015
- Meeting Trauma Head On August 18, 2015
- Trusting His Animal Instincts August 14, 2015
- Phantastic Physics? August 14, 2015
- Rewriting Photographic History August 7, 2015
- Stamp of Approval August 6, 2015
- Zombie Cells August 6, 2015
- From Wonder to Detestation August 3, 2015
- Dornsifes Named First Water Warriors July 28, 2015
- Quakes, Landslides, Now Floods? July 28, 2015
- Science of Sleep July 24, 2015
- Behavioral Economics in Singapore July 23, 2015
- How Policy Shapes Politics July 21, 2015
- Mexican Postdocs Welcomed July 17, 2015
- All-Access Politics July 13, 2015
- Fossil Upsets Evolutionary Model July 7, 2015
- Claudia Rankine Joins English Department July 6, 2015