Inauguration of C. L. Max Nikias
In a momentous celebration that drew 7,500 members of the Trojan Family and local community, C. L. Max Nikias was inaugurated as USC’s 11th president on Oct. 15. The former USC executive vice president and provost became president in early August. Nikias succeeded Steven B. Sample, who had led USC since 1991.
The inauguration ceremony’s theme revolved around a quotation from Virgil’s Aeneid, which is inscribed on a plaque at the base of Tommy Trojan — “Here are provided seats of meditative joy, where shall rise again the destined reign of Troy.”
Over the course of his career as a researcher, educator and university administrator, Nikias has earned accolades for his leadership, innovation and fundraising, as well as his ability to build partnerships among varied constituencies.
Nikias is credited with accelerating the university’s recent academic momentum, recruiting new leadership, strengthening the academic medical enterprise, helping attract a series of major donations to the institution, creating innovative cross-disciplinary programs, enhancing USC’s globalization efforts, and increasing support for undergraduate and graduate students.
Nikias’s selection by the Board of Trustees followed an international search process ending in approximately 75 candidates and seven finalists, all of whom were sitting presidents or provosts at major universities.
A visionary of the highest order, Nikias has said: “My vision is to propel USC to reach what I call ‘undisputed elite status.’ When you’ve reached undisputed elite status, there is no argument, there is no doubt, and yes, there is no question you belong in the pantheon of American elite universities.”
Read President C. L. Max Nikias's full inauguration address at usc.edu/president.
Related News Items
- In Memoriam: Richard F. Thompson, 84 September 20, 2014
- Converging Science and Engineering September 18, 2014
- Perloff to Receive Humanities Medal September 18, 2014
- Welcome New Faculty September 16, 2014
- Close Look at Baldwin Hills September 16, 2014
- Heidelberg Steers the Ship September 15, 2014
- Chilton Wins Marine Award September 10, 2014
- Whale Mating: In the Hips September 10, 2014
- Game On September 4, 2014
- A Lexicon of the Brain September 2, 2014
- Meet the 2014 Provost Postdoctoral Scholars August 28, 2014
- Discovery in Helium Droplets August 28, 2014
- Dutch Lessons on GeoDesign July 31, 2014
- Paradise Transplanted July 31, 2014
- Pretending: Not Just Play July 24, 2014
- Where Earth and Life Sciences Merge July 24, 2014
- Manahan Named Honorary Fellow July 22, 2014
- World’s Most Influential Scientists July 17, 2014
- Identifying Bias July 17, 2014
- Kay Lab Creates First Vast Library of Master Genetic Switches in Plants July 17, 2014