Class of 2014: A Welcome to Relish
USC College greeted incoming freshmen Aug. 19 with an event at the new Ronald Tutor Campus Center ballroom, where students learned about research, overseas and other opportunities, met deans and academic advisers, socialized, and ate hotdogs from L.A.’s legendary Pink’s. A day earlier, students moved onto campus with the help of their families.
1. Students line up to meet with their academic advisers in humanities, social sciences and natural sciences. Those undecided in their majors also met with advisers.
2. To a roar of hoots and applause, USC College Dean Howard Gillman tells the crowd: “The students in the College of Letters, Arts and Sciences are the best students in the University of Southern California! You have the most interests; you have the most ambitions; that’s why you have chosen the academic heart of this great university.”
3. College administrative assistant Lauren Thomas (left) and Sharon Lee, a senior majoring in neuroscience and psychology, serve popcorn to the crowd.
4. Freshman Denny Choi of La Cañada, Calif., is undecided in his major, but he’s decided he loves the Pink’s hotdogs.
5. Joyce Tseng, a psychology major from Irvine (left), Maureen Silva of Lompoc, Calif., undecided in her major, and Camille Devoney, an African-American studies major from Amherst, Mass., explore community volunteering at the Joint Educational Project (JEP) booth.
6. Julia Mangoine, international relations sophomore, talks to freshmen about overseas studies through Student Opportunities for Academic Research (SOAR), Summer Undergraduate Research Fund (SURF) and Problems without Passports (PWP). Mangoine traveled to Cambodia through PWP this past summer.
7. Richard Fliegel, associate dean for undergraduate programs in the College, chats with students.
8. The crowd eagerly awaits their legendary hotdog treats during the welcome event.
9. For dessert, Alysia Gonzales, undecided in her major, and biology major Kevin Ling enjoy a cupcake and fruit cup.
10. USC College Ambassadors Eric Goldman (far left) and Melanie Blair talk about becoming a representative for the College, conduct a raffle and announced who won two new bicycles.
1. The Class of 2014 took their initial step in their academic careers on Move-in Day Aug. 18 at University Park campus. USC College welcomed 1,900 new freshmen and transfers. Of nearly 19,000 freshman applicants to the College this academic year, 22 percent were admitted.
2. Newbies Jianbo Zhang of Beijing (left), and Zhengyu Zhu and Qi Yao, both of Shanghai, check a map and try to navigate their way around campus.
3. Peter Mitchell, an undecided major in USC College, moves into a residence hall with the help of his mother, Pam. Mother and son had driven six hours from their home in San Francisco that morning and were exhausted. “My mom drove,” Peter said. “I tried to sleep.”
4. Students donned sunglasses as temperatures rose to 90 degrees while they moved their belongings to residence halls and suites on campus. Trojan Housing consists of nearly 6,000 units in more than 40 residence halls and apartment buildings, more than half located on the main University Park campus.
5. USC College freshman Shannon Copley gets a helping hand from her father, Brian Copley. Shannon’s father, mother Louise, and 15-year-old brother Kieren, traveled from Houston to assist in Shannon’s move to USC.
6. Move-in Day was also a shared event for the Fernandez family. Paola Fernandez, an international relations freshman in USC College (far right), is flanked by her parents Joe and Soraya, and 16-year-old sister Jackie (left). Soraya earned her bachelor’s degree in international relations in the College in 1986. The family lives in Mt. Washington in the northeastern hills of Los Angeles.
7. USC College held a reception with food and refreshments for parents on Aug. 18 at Founder’s Park.
Related News Items
- New Horizons April 16, 2015
- Book Feast April 15, 2015
- Preserving Antiquity March 27, 2015
- Cultivating Curiosity March 23, 2015
- T.C. Boyle Jukebox March 11, 2015
- Courage, Faith and Service March 9, 2015
- Institute Debuts Directory of Armenian Genocide Commemorations February 25, 2015
- Showcasing Words and Music February 20, 2015
- ‘Housewife to House Speaker’ February 12, 2015
- Changemakers and Trendsetters February 11, 2015
- Life as a ‘Half Immigrant’ February 3, 2015
- An Inside Look at Egypt’s Military May 1, 2014
- From Kansas to California August 9, 2013
- Baby, I Love Your Way May 6, 2013
- USC Professors Cadenas and Davies Knighted by France May 10, 2012
- USC Dornsife Alumna Receives 2012 John R. Hubbard Award May 10, 2012
- Eye-Opening Science May 9, 2012
- Up Close and Personal with the Netherlands May 9, 2012
- 'We See Jimmy in Each of You' May 9, 2012
- Faculty Receive Mellon Mentoring Awards May 7, 2012