Higher Education Group Honors Sanchez
George Sanchez, director of diversity and professor of American studies and ethnicity and history at USC College, has been selected as the outstanding Latino/a faculty in higher education research institutions by the American Association of Hispanics in Higher Education Inc.
The award recognizes an individual who has demonstrated excellence in both research and teaching and has provided significant contributions to his or her academic discipline.
“I am deeply honored by this recognition of my work to advance Chicano/Latino history and American studies and to provide access to all students for success in higher education,” Sanchez said.
He is “particularly touched” that his former student Ana Rosas, a USC undergraduate and Ph.D. who now is an assistant professor of Chicano studies and history at the University of California, Irvine, nominated him for the award.
An award-winning scholar of Chicano history and immigration who joined USC College in 1997, Sanchez is the director of the USC Center for Diversity and Democracy. He is the former director of the American studies and ethnicity program.
“It is a great source of pride for all of us at USC College to know that our friend and colleague has received this honor. George is a stellar researcher, teacher, and mentor,” said USC College Dean Howard Gillman. “He is also a wonderful person — a man of integrity, good judgment and good humor. Those of us in the dean’s office are lucky enough to see this every day, and we are especially pleased to see George receive this well-earned recognition.”
Sanchez, along with Amy Koritz of Drew University, recently edited Civic Engagement in the Wake of Katrina (The University of Michigan Press, 2009).
Sanchez will be presented with the award next March in Costa Mesa.
Related News Items
- Welcome New Faculty September 16, 2014
- Chilton Wins Marine Award September 10, 2014
- Thompson and Christe Lauded by ACS September 4, 2014
- Meet the 2014 Provost Postdoctoral Scholars August 28, 2014
- Dean Kay Appoints New Armenian Institute Director and Faculty August 18, 2014
- From Berlin to Baghdad? August 12, 2014
- Estebanico’s Turn to Speak July 29, 2014
- World’s Most Influential Scientists July 17, 2014
- Sanchez’s Vision for Diversity July 10, 2014
- Pastor Speaks on Poverty July 3, 2014
- Life Goes On July 2, 2014
- Sanchez Selected AHA-PCB President June 24, 2014
- Capturing CASE Gold June 4, 2014
- Academic Honors Convocation April 29, 2014
- A Case for Balancing Your Checkbook April 28, 2014
- Bottjer Earns Top Paleontology Award April 15, 2014
- Music, Spirit and Truth April 14, 2014
- From Melville to Medieval India April 3, 2014
- The Forgotten Holocaust April 3, 2014
- Color Him Smart April 1, 2014