Good Neighbors Campaign Reaches New Height
Faculty & staff contributions help secure $1 million gift to support service learning.
For 37 years, the Joint Educational Project (JEP) has placed more than 60,000 USC students in community assignments. Through these meaningful experiences, they have learned firsthand about real life issues of poverty, immigration, educational inequalities and other concerns.
“I can honestly say that teaching, or maybe I should say learning, at Manual Arts [High School] was one of my most fulfilling experiences,” one student told Tammara Anderson, executive director of JEP.
An extraordinary expression of generosity surfaced this year when one of USC College’s alumni was so moved by the JEP experience that an offer was made to donate $1 million to the service organization if at least 50 percent of the College’s faculty and staff contributed to the Good Neighbors Campaign.
“I am proud of the faculty and staff of the College who came together in the spirit of community to meet the gift challenge of our generous alum,” said Howard Gillman, dean of the College. “It is extremely gratifying that this effort has not only helped the Good Neighbors Campaign, but also our nationally recognized Joint Educational Project, which has had a profound impact on the lives of neighborhood children and on the service-learning culture of USC College.”
“Our College family really came through for us and the JEP staff is so thankful! Not only did we reach the goal of 50 percent participation in the Good Neighbors Campaign, we exceeded it by reaching 56 percent!” Anderson said. “During these difficult economic times, this gift will assist staff in developing community-based research projects as well as maintaining existing programs that assist local schools and service agencies.”
Related News Items
- History in a Box October 1, 2014
- $50 Million Gift Funds Convergent Bioscience January 13, 2014
- Be a Good Neighbor October 15, 2013
- Colorful Leadership for Rainbow Floor January 11, 2013
- Going for the Goal August 24, 2012
- A Dream Realized June 11, 2012
- From Actress to Activist May 23, 2012
- USC Dornsife Alumna Receives 2012 John R. Hubbard Award May 10, 2012
- Eye-Opening Science May 9, 2012
- All-Star Students May 3, 2012
- Dedication Defined April 24, 2012
- L.A., L.A., Do You Read? April 23, 2012
- Students Take on the QuikSCience Challenge April 17, 2012
- USC Dornsife's Travis Glynn Selected as Truman Scholar March 30, 2012
- President Nikias Visits a Young Scientists Program Lab February 8, 2012
- Tears of Joy December 23, 2011
- JEP Fights Childhood Obesity November 30, 2011
- Not Following the Herd November 7, 2011
- Leaders with Posse-bility October 4, 2011
- High Schoolers Become 'Summer Trojans' August 25, 2011