George Olah Elected to the National Academy of Engineering
USC College's scholar receives one of engineering's highest professional distinctions.
The National Academy of Engineering (NAE) has elected 65 new members and nine foreign associates. Among these distinguished individuals is George Olah, USC College Distinguished Professor of Chemistry and Engineering and Donald P. and Katherine B. Loker Chair in Organic Chemistry.
Olah, one of the world's preeminent scholars of hydrocarbon chemistry, received the 1994 Nobel Prize in Chemistry for groundbreaking work on superacids and his observations of carbocations, a fleeting chemical species long theorized to exist but never confirmed.
Election to the National Academy of Engineering is among the highest professional distinctions given to an engineer. Academy membership honors those who have made outstanding contributions to "engineering research, practice, or education, including, where appropriate, significant contributions to the engineering literature," and to the "pioneering of new and developing fields of technology, making major advancements in traditional fields of engineering, or developing/implementing innovative approaches to engineering education."
Robert A. Scholtz, Fred H. Cole Professor of Engineering, department of electrical engineering at USC is also a newly elected member of NAE.
NAE's total U.S. membership is 2,246 and the number of foreign associate is 197.
Related News Items
- Fossil Upsets Evolutionary Model July 7, 2015
- Layer By Layer July 6, 2015
- Shark Week Indebted to More Than Sharks July 6, 2015
- Humans Push Mosquitoes to Adapt June 25, 2015
- Fasting-type diet appears to slow aging June 22, 2015
- In Memoriam: Howard Taylor, 79 May 22, 2015
- Guided by ‘What If?’ May 13, 2015
- Symposium Synergy April 29, 2015
- Strength of Spirit and Mind April 29, 2015
- USC Dornsife Recruits Leading ‘Click Chemist’ April 27, 2015
- Lauda Receives Simons Fellowship April 14, 2015
- Internet-like Networks Revealed April 7, 2015
- The Winner in Climate Change? April 7, 2015
- A Change of Heart April 1, 2015
- Hidden Costs March 30, 2015
- Bucky-Balls Become Buckybombs March 27, 2015
- Ehrenreich and Ralph Earn Sloan Fellowships March 4, 2015
- Just Getting Warmed Up March 3, 2015
- Irani Pledges Support for Residential College March 2, 2015
- Unlocking Pain Relief February 20, 2015