George Olah Elected to the National Academy of Engineering
USC College's scholar receives one of engineering's highest professional distinctions.
The National Academy of Engineering (NAE) has elected 65 new members and nine foreign associates. Among these distinguished individuals is George Olah, USC College Distinguished Professor of Chemistry and Engineering and Donald P. and Katherine B. Loker Chair in Organic Chemistry.
Olah, one of the world's preeminent scholars of hydrocarbon chemistry, received the 1994 Nobel Prize in Chemistry for groundbreaking work on superacids and his observations of carbocations, a fleeting chemical species long theorized to exist but never confirmed.
Election to the National Academy of Engineering is among the highest professional distinctions given to an engineer. Academy membership honors those who have made outstanding contributions to "engineering research, practice, or education, including, where appropriate, significant contributions to the engineering literature," and to the "pioneering of new and developing fields of technology, making major advancements in traditional fields of engineering, or developing/implementing innovative approaches to engineering education."
Robert A. Scholtz, Fred H. Cole Professor of Engineering, department of electrical engineering at USC is also a newly elected member of NAE.
NAE's total U.S. membership is 2,246 and the number of foreign associate is 197.
Related News Items
- Unlocking Pain Relief February 20, 2015
- On Our Best Behavior February 20, 2015
- Waterman Awarded Prestigious Dan David Prize February 11, 2015
- Better Cures, Better Care February 5, 2015
- Partners in Sustainability and Environmental Studies February 3, 2015
- Thompson Hailed as Innovator December 16, 2014
- Diagnosis Success December 4, 2014
- Recognition for Pratt’s Work November 18, 2014
- Small in Stature, Big on Health November 13, 2014
- Mechanics of String Theory November 6, 2014
- Collaboration in 3-D October 28, 2014
- Michelson Center for Convergent Bioscience Ushers in New Era October 23, 2014
- USC Dornsife Recruits Renowned Leaders in Molecular Research October 23, 2014
- Golgi Your Brain October 20, 2014
- Big Boost for the Bench October 9, 2014
- In Their Own Words October 8, 2014
- Sugar Linked to Memory Woes October 7, 2014
- Chemists Dispel Long-held Notion September 26, 2014
- In Memoriam: Richard F. Thompson, 84 September 20, 2014
- Converging Science and Engineering September 18, 2014