George Olah Elected to the National Academy of Engineering
USC College's scholar receives one of engineering's highest professional distinctions.
The National Academy of Engineering (NAE) has elected 65 new members and nine foreign associates. Among these distinguished individuals is George Olah, USC College Distinguished Professor of Chemistry and Engineering and Donald P. and Katherine B. Loker Chair in Organic Chemistry.
Olah, one of the world's preeminent scholars of hydrocarbon chemistry, received the 1994 Nobel Prize in Chemistry for groundbreaking work on superacids and his observations of carbocations, a fleeting chemical species long theorized to exist but never confirmed.
Election to the National Academy of Engineering is among the highest professional distinctions given to an engineer. Academy membership honors those who have made outstanding contributions to "engineering research, practice, or education, including, where appropriate, significant contributions to the engineering literature," and to the "pioneering of new and developing fields of technology, making major advancements in traditional fields of engineering, or developing/implementing innovative approaches to engineering education."
Robert A. Scholtz, Fred H. Cole Professor of Engineering, department of electrical engineering at USC is also a newly elected member of NAE.
NAE's total U.S. membership is 2,246 and the number of foreign associate is 197.
Related News Items
- Discovery in Helium Droplets August 28, 2014
- An Energetic New Professor August 7, 2014
- Dutch Lessons on GeoDesign July 31, 2014
- Where Earth and Life Sciences Merge July 24, 2014
- Manahan Named Honorary Fellow July 22, 2014
- World’s Most Influential Scientists July 17, 2014
- Kay Lab Creates First Vast Library of Master Genetic Switches in Plants July 17, 2014
- Prakash Named ACS Fellow July 14, 2014
- Helping Us Breathe Easier July 14, 2014
- Bonahon Named Simons Fellow July 8, 2014
- Plugging into a New Battery July 1, 2014
- Arctic Fox, Woolly Rhino and Three-toed Horse June 17, 2014
- Hats Off to Dr. Research June 12, 2014
- Industry and Academe Team Up May 22, 2014
- Plugging into the Red Sea May 22, 2014
- USC Dornsife Scholars May 16, 2014
- Our Dazzling Doctorates May 15, 2014
- Breaking the Genetic Code May 7, 2014
- Capone to Receive Top Biosciences Award May 5, 2014
- Academic Honors Convocation April 29, 2014