In Memoriam: Paul E. Hadley
Paul E. Hadley, distinguished emeritus professor of international relations and former executive director of the Emeriti Center at USC, died in Glendale on April 10. He was 92.
Hadley received the USC Emeriti Center’s Leibovitz Award for Distinguished Service to Seniors by a retired faculty member in October 2002.
“USC benefited from Hadley’s orderly and supportive office and from his kindness,” said Robert Biller, professor emeritus of the USC School of Policy, Planning, and Development, president of the Retired Faculty Association and associate director of development at the USC Emeriti Center.
Hadley had served the university since 1945 when he joined the faculty as an instructor. He earned his master’s degree and doctorate in comparative literature at USC while teaching and then began a parallel career in university administration.
Between 1959 and 1981, he served successively as chairman of the department of comparative literature, dean of the Summer Session, dean of the College of Continuing Education, associate vice president for academic administration and research and vice president for academic affairs.
Hadley retired in 1981 and returned to campus to direct the Emeriti College from 1990 to 1998 and succeeded Tillman Hall as executive director of the Emeriti Center from 1996 to 2001.
Hadley built on Hall’s vision for the center by recruiting and involving more faculty to mentor undergraduate students and facilitate undergraduate research. Hadley also served on the Emeriti Center’s USC Living History Project.
His wife of 60 years, Virginia, died in December 2005. He is survived by his daughter Deborah Corazza and four grandchildren, including Katherine Corazza Matteson, who graduated from USC in 2003.
Related News Items
- Exploring Arctic Issues August 27, 2015
- USC Experts on Iran Nuclear Deal July 15, 2015
- In Memoriam: Basil Nafpaktitis, 85 July 1, 2015
- In Memoriam: Donn Sherrin Gorsline, 88 June 3, 2015
- Independence Days May 28, 2015
- In Memoriam: Howard Taylor, 79 May 22, 2015
- Three of the Best May 13, 2015
- In Memoriam: Lynn Matteson, 75 May 1, 2015
- In Memoriam: Sarnoff Mednick, 87 April 23, 2015
- Opening D.C.’s Doors April 8, 2015
- Investigative Historian March 16, 2015
- Japan, Spies and the Roman Empire February 17, 2015
- When Disaster Strikes January 21, 2015
- Big Picture Economics January 21, 2015
- In Memoriam: Andrew Manning, 42 January 5, 2015
- High Performance December 16, 2014
- Soaring to New Heights December 8, 2014
- In Memoriam: María Elena Martínez-López, 47 November 20, 2014
- Researching the Pacific Rim November 13, 2014
- Autarky in Iran November 11, 2014