Next Stop: The Professoriate
Mellon Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowships help prepare Ph.D. holders for faculty jobs.
Now an assistant professor of art history and of Spanish and Portuguese, Bleichmar was pleased to learn that another group of recent Ph.D. recipients selected from throughout the world will benefit from a new round of Mellon Foundation fellowships at the College.
The $872,000 grant will fund eight, two-year postdoctoral fellowships in the humanities and humanistic social sciences over five years. The fellowships will enable the young scholars to gain experience teaching, while doing original scholarly work at the College’s most distinguished centers and institutes.
In addition, the Mellon Foundation awarded a $650,000, three-year grant to the USC-Huntington Early Modern Studies Institute, which is headed by Peter Mancall, professor of history. That grant — the second the institute has received from the foundation — will enable the institute’s senior scholars to continue to focus on the defining features of the period from 1450 to 1850.
The two grants total more than $1.5 million.
“We are so excited that we got these grants,” said Hazel Breen, the College’s associate director of development, corporate and foundation relations. “It proves that the Mellon Foundation believes in our programs here at the College. And it’s a testament to Peter Mancall’s work that his Early Modern Studies grant was renewed. It’s a show of approval.”
The institutes receiving the postdoctoral fellowships include the College’s Project for Premodern Japan Studies and the Shoah Foundation Institute for Visual History and Education.
Bleichmar said the Mellon fellowships provide a tremendous boost to a young scholar’s career.
“For me, the fellowship was life-changing,” she said. “It was incredibly valuable. It’s a huge luxury for postdocs to get a chance to work on developing their teaching skills while also having more time for their own research and publications. It makes an enormous difference.”
Related News Items
- USC Mellon Mentoring Awards Recognize Faculty April 17, 2015
- Exploring Hellenistic Egypt August 12, 2014
- Forsburg Earns New Fellowship April 15, 2014
- Finding Light in a Cave April 8, 2014
- In Memoriam: Robert Dockson December 4, 2013
- Remo Rohs Selected as Sloan Research Fellow February 19, 2013
- In Memoriam: Moshe Lazar, 84 December 21, 2012
- Lucky Thirteen November 30, 2012
- Mellon Mays Program Mentors Minority Students July 19, 2011
- (Ful)Bright Futures June 1, 2011
- USC Philosophy Professor Earns Fellowship May 4, 2011
- Faculty Notes April 24, 2011
- A Change of Climate June 16, 2010
- A Private Eye for Art June 11, 2010
- USC College Senior Awarded Fulbright Fellowship May 10, 2010
- Closing the Gender Gap May 7, 2010
- Braudy, Soames Elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences April 21, 2010
- The Sweet Smell of Success February 9, 2010
- A Global Brand Journeys to Algeria November 25, 2009
- Eradicating Malaria in Malawi October 12, 2009