Jumping Off the Page
Rather than explain in writing the science behind her research, USC Dornsife chemistry doctoral candidate Candy Hwang has used animation in a National Science Foundation contest.
Candy Hwang, a second-year doctoral candidate in chemistry and National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellow, has swapped the written page for animation.
Hwang of USC Dornsife entered “Creating the Future,” a multimedia competition that challenges NSF fellows to express how their research may shape the future. A 90-second video created by Hwang and her team offers an animated representation of their research on nitrogen.
Charles McKenna, professor of chemistry and vice dean for natural sciences in USC Dornsife, served as faculty adviser.
Calling upon others at USC, Hwang worked with a team that included students from the John C. Hench Division of Animation and Digital Arts at the USC School of Cinematic Arts.
Despite the invaluable technical help of her team, Hwang faced the obstacle of how best to represent and explain her work.
“It was very difficult to explain my research in understandable terms,” she said. In fact, the team spent two months writing and editing the storyboards for the project.
However, the long process and hard work paid off.
“I got to explain science, which is such a difficult thing to do,” Hwang said. “Teaching is my favorite thing. This video was an outlet for that.”
A panel of NSF judges will select the winner from the 14 finalists, but the public also has an opportunity to vote for a People’s Choice Award.
To cast a vote in the competition, visit http://grf2012.skild.com/skild2/grf2012/viewEntryDetail.action?pid=40359
Laura Cechanowicz (editor), Simón Wilches Castro (designer/animator), Louis Morton (designer/animator) and Anna Drubich (music) provided expertise for the video.
Related News Items
- Recognition for Pratt’s Work November 18, 2014
- Small in Stature, Big on Health November 13, 2014
- Mechanics of String Theory November 6, 2014
- In Memoriam: Katrina J. Edwards, 46 October 29, 2014
- Collaboration in 3-D October 28, 2014
- Michelson Center for Convergent Bioscience Ushers in New Era October 23, 2014
- USC Dornsife Recruits Renowned Leaders in Molecular Research October 23, 2014
- Golgi Your Brain October 20, 2014
- Big Boost for the Bench October 9, 2014
- In Their Own Words October 8, 2014
- Sugar Linked to Memory Woes October 7, 2014
- Chemists Dispel Long-held Notion September 26, 2014
- In Memoriam: Richard F. Thompson, 84 September 20, 2014
- Converging Science and Engineering September 18, 2014
- Welcome New Faculty September 16, 2014
- Close Look at Baldwin Hills September 16, 2014
- Heidelberg Steers the Ship September 15, 2014
- Chilton Wins Marine Award September 10, 2014
- Whale Mating: In the Hips September 10, 2014
- Thompson and Christe Lauded by ACS September 4, 2014