The Business and Craft of Storytelling
The inaugural USC Writers Conference takes place Friday and features USC Dornsife faculty. The all-day event is the kick-off to the Los Angeles Times Festival of Books at USC April 21 and 22.
Dana Gioia, Judge Widney Professor of Poetry and Public Culture at USC, and Deborah Harkness, professor of history in USC Dornsife and author of the best-selling book, A Discovery of Witches, will be featured speakers at the inaugural USC Writers Conference to be held from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Friday, April 20, in Doheny Memorial Library on University Park campus.
“The Business and Craft of Storytelling” day-long conference is a kick-off to the Los Angeles Times Festival of Books taking place at USC April 21-22.
“This conference is designed to give writers an edge in today’s competitive, changing world of publishing,” said Eileen Kohan, associate provost and executive director for USC Continuing Education and Summer Programs. “You can sharpen your business skills and network with writing and publishing leaders on Friday, then continue learning about the craft of storytelling by attending Festival of Books events throughout the weekend.”
At 2:30 p.m. Friday, Gioia, who is affiliated with several schools at USC including USC Dornsife, will conduct a session called “The Writer as Entrepreneur.” Harkness, whose second book in her All Souls Triology is due out summer 2012, will speak at 11:15 a.m. about “Resources for World-Makers: Finding Authenticity in the Library.”
At 9:15 a.m. Friday, Ivory Madison, the chief executive officer and editor-in-chief of redroom.com, will offer the keynote address, “What it Takes to Be a Great Writer.”
Other sessions will delve into the promise and peril of self-publishing, the benefits of social networking and finding a community of writers. The conference registration price includes the sessions, lunch and concluding reception. Registration is $100 for the general public and $75 for USC alumni. Register and learn more about the program here.
Related News Items
- Meet the 2014 Provost Postdoctoral Scholars August 28, 2014
- Discovery in Helium Droplets August 28, 2014
- Bacterial Nanowires Not Pili August 20, 2014
- Dean Kay Appoints New Armenian Institute Director and Faculty August 18, 2014
- From Berlin to Baghdad? August 12, 2014
- Exploring Hellenistic Egypt August 12, 2014
- War of Words in the Middle East August 8, 2014
- Paradise Transplanted July 31, 2014
- Estebanico’s Turn to Speak July 29, 2014
- The Case for Flying Dinosaurs July 24, 2014
- Wood Elected SPSP President July 24, 2014
- The Source of Racial Health Disparities July 22, 2014
- Identifying Bias July 17, 2014
- Kay Lab Creates First Vast Library of Master Genetic Switches in Plants July 17, 2014
- Sanchez’s Vision for Diversity July 10, 2014
- Healing after Horror July 7, 2014
- Life Goes On July 2, 2014
- Plugging into a New Battery July 1, 2014
- Sanchez Selected AHA-PCB President June 24, 2014
- Arctic Fox, Woolly Rhino and Three-toed Horse June 17, 2014