The Southern California Review encourages new, emerging, and established writers to submit previously unpublished work that meets the following requirements.
- Fiction. Short stories, flash fiction, and stand-alone novel excerpts not in excess of 7,000 words. Pieces that exceed this limit will NOT be read. Genre fiction is discouraged and will be considered only if it transcends the boundaries of its genre.
- Poetry. Up to three poems of any form and in traditional or experimental styles.
- Nonfiction. Memoir, personal essays, and creative nonfiction, again not to exceed the 7,000-word limit.
- Dramatic Forms. We also publish one-act plays, scenes, or short film and screenplay excerpts. Please format according to the standard unpublished playwriting or screenwriting format.
- Please submit ONLY previously unpublished work. Previously published work will not be considered, including work that has been published online.
- All manuscripts must be typed and printed on standard-size white paper and stapled.
- Cover letters should contain ALL relevant contact information.
- Electronic or e-mail submissions ARE NOT accepted except with prior written approval.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted, but make note of this in your cover letter and notify us IMMEDIATELY if your submission is accepted elsewhere.
- Response will be sent only if a SASE is included by the author.
- Do not send more than one piece of any genre at one time.
- Please wait until we have responded to your first piece before sending another.
Unsolicited manuscripts are read September 1–January 20. Writers may submit their material online using our Submission Manager or via snail mail to the address on our contact page.
Payment upon publication is two copies of the issue that contains your work. Author retains copyright, but is asked to cite appearance in the Southern California Review if the work is republished elsewhere.
- Master of Professional Writing Program
- University of Southern California
- 3501 Trousdale Parkway
- Mark Taper Hall of Humanities, THH 355
- Los Angeles, California 90089-0355
- Phone: (213) 740 - 3252
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org