Admission to the USC Master of Liberal Studies Program is on a rolling basis. Applications are accepted for fall, spring, and summer semesters. For fullest consideration, apply by July 1 for fall semester applications, by December 1 for spring semester applications, and by April 1 for summer semester applications.
USC Graduate Admissions offers a web-based application in order to make the application process as easy and convenient as possible. Timely submission of required supporting documents is recommended to ensure that your application is reviewed more quickly.
Once you create your account, you will receive a USC PIN and password so that you may return to work on your application over several sessions. Only after you submit your application will it be available for review by our Admissions Committee.
Please note that while the GRE is not required, the University requires a minimum undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 (on a scale in which A=4.0). If you have under a 3.0, you will need to submit a GRE score of a minimum GRE verbal score of 153 and quantitative score of 144. (Exams taken before November 2011 fall under a different scoring system, and the minimum combined verbal and quantitative score for those exams is 1000.)
- Statement of Purpose for applying to the Master of Liberal Studies Program.
- Sample of writing (such as a brief essay on a topic of current interest, a review of a book, or a document you have produced as part of a professional project or assignment).
- Two letters of recommendation from those who could best address your ability to successfully undertake graduate level work. These individuals may include professional colleagues, business superiors, or past faculty. Letters from past faculty are not required, especially for those applicants who have been out of school for some time and are no longer in contact with their faculty. Letters of recommendation from co-workers, someone you have supervised, or personal and family friends are inappropriate. The online application allows you to e-mail your recommenders and request that they send their recommendations through e-mail or mail them as hard copies. If you receive hard copies of your recommendations, you may scan and upload them in your online application in the “Supporting Documents” section or send them to Graduate Admissions to the address below. You may also have your recommenders e-mail their letters to Natalie Inouye, the MLS student services advisor.
In addition, please submit the following materials to USC Graduate Admission:
- Required application fee - waived for staff, faculty and alumni
- Official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended
- Official TOEFL scores (international applicants)
- Affidavit of Support (international applicants)
- Master of Liberal Studies
- 3501 Trousdale Parkway
- Mark Taper Hall, THH 355
- University of Southern California
- Los Angeles, California 90089-0355
- Phone: (213) 740 - 1349
- Email: email@example.com