Welcome to the Department of Mathematics of the USC Dornsife College of Letters Arts and Sciences, at the University of Southern California. We offer a wide range of research and education opportunities in pure and applied mathematics. We also form a lively and engaged community of scholars. Please explore our web site, from student resources to faculty personal pages, from math clubs to research seminars, to learn more about us and about our offerings and activities.
Robert Guralnick is elected a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science .
On November 23, 2016 Robert Guralnick of mathematics is elected a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS).
Eric Friedlander addresses PCAST in Washington, DC
On November 17, 2016 Eric participates in a panel addressing the President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology in his role as member of the Board of TPSE discussing what the private sector is doing in STEM Education.
Congratulations to our PhD students who graduated in the academic year 2015-2016
Eight graduate students from our department received their PhD in 2015-16. Here is the full list, together with their advisor, the current title, and the place of employment.
- Michael Abram (Lauda), Exec VP, Integral Investment Advisors, Inc., Lecturer, California State University Stanislaus.
- Yongjian Kang (Lv,Zhang), Quant Analyst, Google.
- Chandrasekhar Karnam (Ma,Zhang), Quant Associate, Morgan Stanley NYC.
- Panagiotis Tsilifis (Mikulevicius), Postdoc/Research Associate, USC, Department of Civil Engineering
- Henry Tucker (Montgomery), Postdoc, UC San Diego.
- Kerem Ugurlu (Ziane), Postdoc, University of Washington.
- Andrew Williams (Honda), Teacher, La Canada-Flintridge College Prep.
- Weisheng Xie (Ma), postdoc, Quant PHD Associate, Wells Fargo Security.
Congratulations to all of them!
Previous year: 2014-2015
Math major featured in USC Dornsife Magazine
Math Major Sabrina Enriquez '19 was recently featured in the Fall 2016 issue of USC Dornsife Magazine. Here is a picture of Sabrina presenting the results of her research at the 2016 SACNAS Conference in Long Beach, CA, with a quote from the article. The whole article can be found on Page 18 of the Fall 2016 issue of USC Dornsife Magazine.
SABRINA ENRIQUEZ '19, Mathematics Major
“I just always really, really liked math. When I was in the fourth grade, my teacher told me I was good at it. So, I just stuck with it after that. I thought ‘Wow, this is so much fun.’”
Susan Friedlander's Work celebrated at ICERM, Jan 24-27, 2017.
A Workshop organised by Peter Constantin, Natasa Pavlovic and Vlad Vicol on current developments in fluid dynamics will be held at ICERM at Brown on the occasion of Susan Friedlander's birthday.
Prof. Solomon W. Golomb
With great sadness and regret, we feel the departure of our friend and colleague Sol Golomb. Sol was a kind, gentle person, bursting with enthusiasm for mathematics. He was one of the first brilliant mathematicians who recognized the importance of core mathematics for modern communications. Much of Sol’s work (recognized by a National Medal of Science and many other awards) was directed at applications. That said, he delighted in puzzles and his first love was number theory. We miss you, Sol.
On July 19, 2016, Jin Ma is giving a plenary speech at the 9th World Congress of the Bachelier Finance Society, held in New York City.
2016 Department Prize Winner : Graduate
- Harris teaching prize to Fei Wang
- Ester teaching prize to Kira Sushkoff-Nguyen
- Harris research prize to Henry Tucker
- Estes research prize to Spencer Gerhardt
- Blum research prize to Bahar Acu
2016 Department Prize Winner : Undergraduate
- Al and Teresa Zobrist Excellence in Mathematics Senior Award to George Wang
- Award for Outreach in Mathematics to Bradley Rava
- Al and Teresa Zobrist Excellence in Mathematics Junior Award to Erin Mills
2016 CAMS Prize Winner
The CAMS Prize for Excellence in Research with a substantial Mathematical Component to Fei Wang and Jie Ren
ERIC FRIEDLANDER'S "GERMAN" INVITATIONS
On May 24, 2016, Eric Friedlander is giving the opening remarks at the Goethe Institute exhibit of "Math You Can touch".
Solomon Golomb awarded the 2016 Franklin Medal
CAMS Board Member Solomon Golomb is awarded the 2016 Franklin Medal for his work in digital communications.
Juhi Jang awarded 2015-16 Von Neumann Fellowship
CAMS member Juhi Jang is awarded a prestigous Von Neuman Fellowship at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton. She is a visiting member at IAS for the academic year 2015-2016.
Neelesh Tiruviluamala promoted
Congratulations, Francis Bonahon
On occasion of his sixtieth birthday, Francis Bonahon was honored by an international conference "Classical and quantum hyperbolic geometry and topology", which took place on July 6-10, 2015 in Orsay, France. The conference was cofunded by the Office for Science and Technology of the Embassy of France in the US.
Congratulations to our PhD students who graduated in the academic year 2014-2015
Nine graduate students from our department received their PhD in 2014-15. Here is the full list, together with the name of their advisor and their current title place of employment.
- Tim Daley (Waterman/Smith), postdoctoral research associate, Computational Biology, USC.
- Christian Keller (Zhang), Don Lewis Research Assistant Professor, University of Michigan.
- Burt Newman (Kamienny), postdoctoral research associate, Department of Computer Science, USC.
- Haining Ren (Fulman), data scientist at Pixalate, Santa Monica, CA
- Jian Wang (Kamienny), postdoc, Tsinghua University.
- Jared Warner (E. Friedlander), tenure-track assistant professor, City University of New York, Guttman College
- Fan Yang (Haydn), postdoc, Federal University of Rio, Brazil.
- Tian Zhang (Ma), data scientist, Avant Inc.
- Zeming Zheng (Goldstein), tenure-track assistant professor, University of Science and Technology of China.
Congratulations to all of them!
Colloquia and Seminars
The USC Department of Mathematics is now accepting applications for: