Welcome to the Department of Mathematics of the USC Dornsife College of Letters Arts and Sciences, at the University of Southern California. We offer a wide range of research and education opportunities in pure and applied mathematics. We also form a lively and engaged community of scholars. Please explore our web site, from student resources to faculty personal pages, from math clubs to research seminars, to learn more about us and about our offerings and activities.
Susan Friedlander's Work celebrated at ICERM, Jan 24-27, 2017.
A Workshop organised by Peter Constantin, Natasa Pavlovic and Vlad Vicol on current developments in fluid dynamics will be held at ICERM at Brown on the occasion of Susan Friedlander's birthday.
Prof. Solomon W. Golomb
With great sadness and regret, we feel the departure of our friend and colleague Sol Golomb. Sol was a kind, gentle person, bursting with enthusiasm for mathematics. He was one of the first brilliant mathematicians who recognized the importance of core mathematics for modern communications. Much of Sol’s work (recognized by a National Medal of Science and many other awards) was directed at applications. That said, he delighted in puzzles and his first love was number theory. We miss you, Sol.
On July 19, 2016, Jin Ma is giving a plenary speech at the 9th World Congress of the Bachelier Finance Society, held in New York City.
2016 Department Prize Winner : Graduate
- Harris teaching prize to Fei Wang
- Ester teaching prize to Kira Sushkoff-Nguyen
- Harris research prize to Henry Tucker
- Estes research prize to Spencer Gerhardt
- Blum research prize to Bahar Acu
2016 Department Prize Winner : Undergraduate
- Al and Teresa Zobrist Excellence in Mathematics Senior Award to George Wang
- Award for Outreach in Mathematics to Bradley Rava
- Al and Teresa Zobrist Excellence in Mathematics Junior Award to Erin Mills
2016 CAMS Prize Winner
The CAMS Prize for Excellence in Research with a substantial Mathematical Component to Fei Wang and Jie Ren
ERIC FRIEDLANDER'S "GERMAN" INVITATIONS
On May 24, 2016, Eric Friedlander is giving the opening remarks at the Goethe Institute exhibit of "Math You Can touch".
Solomon Golomb awarded the 2016 Franklin Medal
CAMS Board Member Solomon Golomb is awarded the 2016 Franklin Medal for his work in digital communications.
Juhi Jang awarded 2015-16 Von Neumann Fellowship
CAMS member Juhi Jang is awarded a prestigous Von Neuman Fellowship at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton. She is a visiting member at IAS for the academic year 2015-2016.
Neelesh Tiruviluamala promoted
Congratulations, Francis Bonahon
On occasion of his sixtieth birthday, Francis Bonahon was honored by an international conference "Classical and quantum hyperbolic geometry and topology", which took place on July 6-10, 2015 in Orsay, France. The conference was cofunded by the Office for Science and Technology of the Embassy of France in the US.
Congratulations to our PhD students who graduated in 2014-15
Ten graduate students from our department received their PhD in 2014-15. Here is the full list, together with the name of their advisor and their current title place of employment.
- Tim Daley (Waterman/Smith), postdoctoral research associate, Computational Biology, USC.
- Christian Keller (Zhang), Don Lewis Research Assistant Professor, University of Michigan.
- Burt Newman (Kamienny), postdoctoral research associate, Department of Computer Science, USC.
- Haining Ren (Fulman), data scientist at Pixalate, Santa Monica, CA
- Jian Wang (Kamienny), postdoc, Tsinghua University.
- Jared Warner (E. Friedlander), tenure-track assistant professor, City University of New York, Guttman College.
- Andrew Williams (Honda), teacher, Flintridge Preparatory School.
- Fan Yang (Haydn), postdoc, Federal University of Rio, Brazil.
- Tian Zhang (Ma), data scientist, Avant Inc.
- Zeming Zheng (Goldstein), tenure-track assistant professor, University of Science and Technology of China.
Congratulations to all of them!
Congratulations, Michael Waterman
Congratulations, Aaron Lauda
Dr. Aaron Lauda received a 2015 Simons Foundation fellowship, allowing him to take a full year of academic leave to pursue his theoretical mathematics research.
Congratulations, Susan Friedlander
Dr. Susan Friedlander has been elected Chair of the Executive Committee of the Mathematical Council of the Americas.
Vlad Vicol named a Sloan Fellow
The first CAMS Prize winner has been awarded an Alfred P. Sloan Fellowship. Vlad Vicol, who received his PhD in 2010 from USC, is currently an Assistant Professor at Princeton University.
Aravind Asok promoted
David Crombecque promoted
Congratulations, Eric Friedlander
Congratulations 2014 PhD students
Nine students received their PhD from our department in 2014, and are all headed for good jobs in academia and industry. These are:
- Diogo Bessam, going to the Catholic Pontifical University (PUC) of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil;
- Ibrahim Ekren, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH) in Zürich, Switzerland;
- Umit Islak, University of Minnesota;
- Yuan Pei, Ursinus College;
- Grigory Sokolov, Binghamton University;
- Yin Tian, Simons Center for Geometry and Physics, Stony Brook, NY;
- Joseph Timmer, Louisiana State University;
- Jia Zhuo, Morgan Stanley.
USC undergraduates invited to present their work at conference
Bradley Rava and Cameron Thieme will be presenting their research work at the Young Mathematicians Conference held at the Ohio State University on August 21-24. Bradley worked on P-colorability by pairs as a knot invariants, and Cameron's research was devoted to Bounds for self-intersection of closed curves in the 2-puncture plane. Both research projects were supervised by David Crombecque.
Knot a problem - by Susan Bell
A day of math-based games at USC prepares prep students to explore mathematical concepts in an engaging way.
USC Undergraduates Bring Home Datafest 2014 Prize
Twenty one talented USC undergraduates competed in Datafest 2014 -- a 48-hour statistics hackathon held annually at UCLA's IPAM -- led by Mathematics faculty Prof. Jay Bartroff and sponsored by the Mathematics Department and the USC Applied Statistics Club. The USC team (from left to right) of Bradley Rava, Tsz Chan, Chris Funaki, Sri Ramesh, and Matthew Norris brought home one of only 3 prizes, for "Best Insight” into the massive data set on energy grid usage. The field included 140 undergraduates from Cal Poly SLO, Pomona College, UCLA, UC Riverside, and USC. Congratulations!
Susan Montgomery elected Vice President of the American Mathematical Society.
Congratulations to Professor Susan Montgomery, who has been elected as the Vice President of the American Mathematical Society.
The vice president and the members at large of the AMS Council serve for three years on the Council. That body determines all scientific policy of the Society, creates and oversees numerous committees, appoints the treasurers and members of the Secretariat, makes nominations of candidates for future elections, and determines the chief editors of several key editorial boards.
Michael Waterman elected to Chinese Academy of Sciences
After winning the 2013 People's Republic of China Friendship Award last Fall, University Professor Michael Waterman has been elected a member of the Chinese Academy of Sciences.
The USC Dornsife professor of biological sciences, computer science and mathematics is among nine foreign members from seven countries to be elected to the Academy in 2013, and one of two Americans not of Chinese origin. Waterman has a joint appointment with the USC Viterbi School of Engineering.
Colloquia and Seminars
The USC Department of Mathematics is now accepting applications for: