Purpose: The purpose of the Los Angeles Higher Education Partnerships initiative is to increase opportunities for college and university students to actively engage in service projects that enhance quality of life for all citizens of Los Angeles, primarily through curriculum related initiatives such as volunteer experiences, community service-learning, practica, and internships. As students extend the intellectual capacity of their respective campuses and disciplines into the community through active learning, they will assist in developing indigenous leadership and capacity of local neighborhoods, groups and individuals.
Desired outcomes: In addition to the general statement of purpose, specific outcomes for LAHEP include the following.
1) To identify a wide variety of community assets, interests and concerns that can benefit from the energy, knowledge and support from local college and university professors, students and academic resources (libraries, career centers, special support programs for individuals with disabilities;
2) To make the most efficient use of available resources by establishing a team approach to community-building initiatives by uniting a consortium of campus community service learning programs (office, initiatives, etc.);
3) To identify and disseminate information on student deployment throughout Los Angeles so that communities are neither over-, nor under-served;
4) To establish an on-going research agenda that documents the efficacy of this project at a variety of levels;
5) To provide dynamic, powerful and meaningful learning experiences for Los Angeles college and university students that connect their increase application and awareness through involvement with local communities;
6) To generate an accessible and useful database that can be used to identify current projects and possible areas for future focus.
7) To guarantee inclusive programs that do not exclude either volunteers or those involved in community service projects on the basis of age, ability, ethnicity, gender, national origin, race, etc.
8) To focus the work of LAHEP on designing active and effective models of social justice, policy and equity for all citizens of Los Angeles;
9) Align LAHEP projects with CSU system (Chancellor’s Office), campus and local government priorities, by sharing information on changes in prioritiesat each level, and by staying in touch with community organizations, linking both formal and informal structures/networks.
(Click on the map to be taken to maps.google for travel directions.)