PI: Maria Luisa Zubizarreta
Senior Research Associate: Tania Ionin
Undergraduate Researchers: Jomeline Balatayo, Erin Bardales, Anya Bokarius, Erin Kunkle, Matt Wallace
Funded by NSF Grant # BCS 0444088
This research aims to investigate the roles of transfer and age effects in the second language (L2) acquisition of English articles. The objectives are (1) to examine the role of L1-transfer in the discourse-related domain of article choice; (2) to provide a linguistic account of optionality in L2-English article use; and (3) to compare child and adult L2-learners in order to determine the optimal age for the acquisition of discourse-related knowledge.
- Ionin, T., M.L. Zubizarreta and S. Bautista Maldonado. 2007. “L1-transfer of article semantics in L2-acquisition”. Paper presented at GASLA-9.
- Ionin, T., M.L. Zubizarreta and V. Philippov. 2007. “Exposure type doesn’t matter: similar patterns of English article use among ESL and EFL learners”. Paper presented at SLRF 2007.
- Ionin, T., M.L. Zubizarreta and S. Bautista Maldonado. 2008. “Sources of linguistic knowledge in the second language acquisition of English articles”. Lingua, 118, 554-576.
- In press: Ionin, T., M.L. Zubizarreta and V. Philippov. Acquisition of article semantics by child and adult L2-English learners. Bilingualism, Language, and Cognition.
PI: Eunjeong Oh, Maria Luisa Zubizarreta
Undergraduate Researchers: Anya Bokarius
- Eunjeong’s 2006 Dissertation: Second Language Acquisition of English Double Object Construction by Korean Speakers
- Oh, E. & M.L. Zubizarreta. 2007. A Comparison of English and Korean Double Objects. In Uyechi, Linda and L.H. Wee eds. Reality Exploration and Discovery: Pattern Interaction in Language and Life. Stanford: CSLI Publications.
- Oh, E. & M.L. Zubizarreta. 2006. A case study of structural transfer: the acquisition of English Double Objects by adult Korean speakers. Ms., Korea University/USC.
- Oh, E. & M.L. Zubizarreta. 2005. The Asymmetric Behavior of Goal and Benefactive Double Objects in the English Interlanguage of Adult L1 Korean and L1 Japanese Speakers. Proceedings of the 7th Generative Approaches to Second Language Acquisition Conference (GASLA 2004), ed. Laurent Dekydtspotter et al. Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Proceedings Project.
- Oh, E. & M.L. Zubizarreta. 2004. Does Morphology Affect Transfer? The Acquisition of English Double Objects by Korean Native Speakers. In A. Burgos, L. Micciulla, and C. Smith, eds., Proceedings of the 28th Annual Boston University Conference of Language Developement, 402-413.
PI: Fuyun Wu, Maria Luisa Zubizarreta
PI: Monica Cabrera, Maria Luisa Zubizarreta
- Cabrera, M. 2005. The Acquisition of Causative Structures in English & Spanish as Second Languages. Unpublished Ph.D. dissertation, University of Southern California.
- Cabrera, M. & M.L. Zubizarreta. 2005. Are All L1 Grammatical Properties Simultaneously Transferred?: Lexical Causatives in L2 Spanish and L2 English. Proceedings of the 7th Generative Approaches to Second Language Acquisition Conference (GASLA 2004), ed. Laurent Dekydtspotter et al. Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Proceedings Project, 24-37.
- Cabrera, M. & M.L. Zubizarreta. 2004. The Role of the L1 in the Overgeneralization of Causatives in L2 English and L2 Spanish. Proceedings of the 33rd Linguistic Symposium on Romance Languages (LSRL 33). Amsterdam/Philadelphia: John Benjamins.
- Cabrera, M. & M.L. Zubizarreta. 2003. On the Acquisition of Spanish Causative Structures by L1 Speakers of English. In J.M. Liceras, H. Zobl, H. Goodluck, eds., Proceedings of the 2002 Generative Approaches to Second Language Acquisition (GASLA 6): L2 Links. Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Press.