800 N. Alameda Street
Completed in 1939, Union Station was the last of the grand urban rail terminals to be built in the United States. Architecturally, it is restrained Spanish Colonial Revival with Streamline Modern touches. Landscaped with enormous fig trees, Mexican fan palms, birds of paradise, ginger, and orchid trumpet vines, the gardens were meant to provide a fragrant haven for travellers. In 1997, the station opened Traxx, the first full-service restaurant in Union Station since the closure of Fred Harvey's in the late 1960's. Today it is the terminus for a growing network of commuter rail lines in addition to inter-city rail and bus lines.
PHOTOS: C. Roseman (above, 2000); early 1940s postcard (above); J. Mapes