The "Wall Street of the West," was site of most major financial institutions in Los Angeles until they all migrated to the new downtown on Bunker Hill beginning in the late 1960. Even though the functions have changed, the built environment has changed little between 2nd and 9th Streets. The 1939 and 1995 photos looking at the east side of Spring from 9th and from 8th confirm this.
Below is a 1946 postcard proclaiming Spring Street as the "Wall Street of the West":
PHOTOS: "Dick" Whittington Collection, USC Libraries, Special Collections (uppper left, lower left); M. Gainer (upper right, lower right).