Queen of Angel's Church
535 N. Main Street
This modest village church, also known as the Plaza Church, dates from 1822 and is the oldest religious structure in Los Angeles. It was established by a priest from Mission San Gabriel, eight miles to the east. In 1985, Father Luis Olivares declared the Church a "sanctuary" for Central American refugees and the undocumented immigrants from Mexico.
PHOTOS: 1930s postcard (top); C. Roseman 2000 (bottom)