430 North Main Street
The Italianate hotel was the first three-story masonry building in Los Angeles (1869-70), built by Pio Pico, the last Mexican governor of California. This was the finest hotel in the Southwest and was a veritable magnet for the fabulously rich. Parts of this building were renovated in 1981 and 1992. The architect, Ezra Keysor, also designed St. Vibiana's Cathedral.
PHOTO: C. Mayda