Los Angeles Hearld-Examiner Building
Southwest corner of Broadway and 11th Street
In December 1903, William Randolf Hearst commenced publication of the Los Angeles Examiner, the latest in his chain of newspapers. He commissioned Julia Morgan, best known for her work on the San Simeon estate, and Los Angeles architects Henke and Dodd, to design a building to house the offices and production of the paper. The building was completed in 1914. It was constructed during the Mission Revival period and exhibits this style.
The building has a tile dome on each corner and towers flanking the entry. Over the years, the Hearst Corporation would acquire the Herald and the Express, merging the two in the 1930s. In 1962 the morning and afternoon papers were merged to make the Herald Examiner. The latter ceased publication in the early 1990s, leaving the Times as the only major metropolitan newspaper in Los Angeles. The Hearst Corporation is now turning the building into office and retail space.