LA Times Building
Southwest corner of Spring and 1st streets
The Times Building was originally completed in 1935. In 1948, a 10 story addition at the northwest corner of South Spring Street and West 3rd Street was added. To the west of the older building, a six story addition was added from 1970-1973 that consisted of two horizontal boxes hovering over various vertical boxes below.
Spatial proximity to the centers of government is an obvious locational criterion for any major metropolitan daily newspaper. The location of the Times, as can be seen in this photo, reflects this criterion.
PHOTOS: C. Roseman (top); 1930s postcard (bottom).