LA County Courthouse
between Hill and Grand on 1st Street
This modern building was completed in 1958. It is the seat of government for the most populous county (over 9 million) in the United States, surpassing the second largest (Cook in Illinois) by about four million souls. In the bottom image, the three figures represent, from left to right, Mosaic Law, Magna Carta, and Declaration of Independence.
PHOTOS: T. Boot (top); C. Roseman (bottom)