Los Angeles has the second-largest jewelry district in the nation, after New York. In the heart of downtown's jewelry district stands the Pantages Theater. It was once one of the city's most prestigious vaudeville houses. Theater manager Alexander Pantages built the nine-story structure in 1919, the 16th in a nation-wide chain of over 80 theaters. Pantages also built theaters on Broadway and on Hollywood Boulevard in Los Angeles. In the 1940's, Warner Brothers bought the theater and named it "Warner's Downtown". Although it still has it's "WB" shield, it has been sold many times. A church in the 50's, the building was bought in 1988 for 16 million dollars and turned into the Jewelry Center.
PHOTOS: G. DeVerteuil (above); 1930s postcard (top).