939 South Figueroa
Built in 1925 by Stanton, Reed, and Hibbard, the Hotel Figueroa is an interpretation of Northern Italian Renaissance town houses.The interior and street facade have been decorated in a Moroccan motif. Located on the southwest edge of the central business district, its proximity to the Convention Center has helped it to survive as a traditional hotel, whereas others have become residential rooming houses. The hotel's visibility from the 110 Freeway (which may be compromised by the construction of LA Live) makes it a city landmark and popular advertising location.
PHOTOS: C. Roseman; J. Mapes; 1940s postcard