The Korean Studies Institute at the University of Southern California invites applications for its Visiting Scholars Program.
Eligible fellows include:
Visiting scholars will be provided with affiliation to USC, library privileges, and a common office space at the Korean Studies Institute. Each applicant must be self-financed for the duration of the fellowship and must have minimum health coverage.
All scholars are expected to actively participate in the programming of the USC Korean Studies Institute in addition to carrying out their particular research projects. The project proposals must include specific language about how the project will contribute to the Korean studies community at USC, and vice-versa. This will be the basis of evaluation.
Each visiting fellow will be required to pay a $500 non-refundable application fee in the form of a cashier’s check or money order made payable to “USC KSI.”
J-1 extension applicants are required to pay a $300 non-refundable application fee in the form of a cashier’s check or money order made payable to “USC KSI.”
KSI Visiting Scholars Program terms are:
1. A one year research program for academics $5,000
2. A one year research program for non-academics $10,000
3. A two year research program for academics $10,000
4. A two year research program for non-academics $20,000
If interested in applying, please send via email, an application packet containing the following items:
1. Cover letter, which specifies the desired length of stay (either 12 months or 24 months), source of financial support, and other information pertinent for consideration.
2. Project proposal (between 1-2 A4 pages).
3. CV or resume.
4. Copy of your passport (and dependent's passport copies if applicable).
5. $500 non-refundable application fee (must be cashier’s check or money order made payable to “USC KSI”) to:
Submit your applications early. It takes about four months to process your application. When applying, please take into consideration the time that it will take to make all the necessary arrangements before arriving in LA.
Submit your application with all the required forms and materials. Incomplete or incorrect applications can significantly delay your appointment. Thus, you should make sure that the application is complete and correct before submission. The application documents must be written in English, and must be either in .pdf or .doc format.Please email to:
Office of International Services
J-1 Scholars can contact OIS at: