The Joint Educational Project uses a unique staffing pattern to coordinate both the service and learning opportunities the program provides. A talented, self-governing student staff made up of twenty-five Program Assistants and five senior students staff assists a eight-person professional staff. It is these Program Assistants that make JEP work. We also have various graduate positions for special projects.
The Program Assistants work under the direction of a student Program Assistant Coordinator and a student Placement Coordinator. Student employees coordinate nearly all of the day-to-day operations of the program. A PA may work exclusively with one professor or class or may assist in all participating faculty in a department.
PA responsibilities will vary depending on the needs of the department's faculty and students.
In general, PAs are responsible to:
- Attend PA Training sessions before the semester starts
- Attend regularly scheduled PA meetings and set up and maintain regular office hours
- Plan semester's work with professor(s) and other departmental instructors participating in JEP; meet regularly with instructors throughout the semester to assess progress and iron out problems
- Introduce JEP to participating classes
- Organize mini-course teams, call first meeting of all teams
- Help assign students; Process all changes and drop assignments; Maintain accurate records of student participation
- Schedule and offer training sessions for students who are assigned
- Notify students of available resource materials; Help students obtain materials needed for their assignments
- Read, comment on, record & return student Reflections, Academic Questions and Lesson Plans
- Maintain personal communications with students throughout the semester. Assist them in carrying out assignments and solving problems
- Visit schools to observe mini-course teams
- Assist in administrating end-of-the-semester evaluations of project
- Maintain departmental notebook which will include such items as: training outlines/materials, sample lesson plans, journals, academic questions, and lists of resources for students
- Other duties as assigned