Install and Configure Microsoft Outlook 2011
This guide will show you how to download, install and configure Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac OS. The Office 2011 suite includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. The steps and pictures below were taken from a reference system running Mac OS 10.6, but the steps will be similar in other recent versions of Mac OS.
Note: If your computer already has the ZENworks Agent installed, please skip to step 8. The agent is already installed on your computer if you see a icon in the system tray or menu bar.
Downloading and installing:
- Open the Mac OS System Preferences window from the Apple menu at the top left corner of your screen, then click on the Sharing menu.
- Enter a friendly name for your computer in the Computer Name field. Desktop computers at USC have a designated hostname that should be used instead, which can be looked up here.
- Open a web browser and navigate to the myDornsife portal. On the main page, click on the Download Software link.
- Download the ZENworks Agent for Mac OS.
- Open the downloaded file, which should automatically unzip and name itself 'ZENworks 11.2.2 Agent Installer.mpkg'.
- Follow the installation steps and enter your computer's credentials when prompted.
- Restart the computer when prompted.
- After the comptuer restarts, a new icon will appear on the menu bar for the agent software. Choose the Show Properties menu and note the listed Device Name. The Device Name should match the name you chose earlier in System Preferences.
- Email the Device Name of your computer to email@example.com and request that it be provisioned with a license of Office 2011. You'll receive an email confirmation once the license has been assigned.
- After the license has been assigned, select the Refresh option in the agent menu. Office 2011 will automatically download and install itself.
- If a set of Dock icons are not created automatically, open the Applications folder and drag each Office icon to the Dock.
Notes: For best performance, please close any open Microsoft Office applications you may already have installed on your computer before attempting to install Office 2011.
Configuring your account:
- Upon opening Outlook 2011 for the first time, enable the 'Make Outlook the default application for e-mail, calendar, and contacts' checkbox and then click on the Add Account button.
- Choose the Exchange Account option.
- Enter your username and email address in the 'firstname.lastname@example.org' format and your USC password. Even though you're specifying your email address in this format, Outlook will always use the 'email@example.com' format when sending messages. Leave the 'Configure automatically' checkbox enabled.
- If prompted with the following security warning, enable the 'Always use my response for this server' checkbox and click Allow.
- Account setup is now complete and Outlook should begin to synchronize your account. Depending on the size of your account, this process might take several hours to complete.