Mainland Chamber Crew Training Program
UPCOMING CLASS DATES & LOCATIONS
September 28-29, 2013
Watershed Classroom Aquarium of the Pacific
100 Aquarium Way,
Long Beach, CA 90802
Classes start at 8:30 a.m. each day, unless otherwise indicated.
(Mainland Class size limited to: 20 students /Island Class size limited to: 3 students)
- Mainland Lecture Program
$25.00 U.S. (Materials Fee)
- Island Hands-On Chamber Operations Training*
$380.00 U.S. (Tuition & Housing)
Students will be responsible for transportation and parking for both
Mainland & Island sections of this training.
*Participation in the Island Hands-On Training is not a requirement for attendance in the Mainland Lecture Program.
On-Line Registration Form for Mainland Chamber Crew Training
This program is for those individuals wishing to explore the possibility of joining the Catalina Chamber Volunteer Crew. All too often, busy schedules prevent many of you from taking our five-day Emergency Dive Accident Management (EDAM) or Emergency Response Diver (ERD) courses, which, before the Mainland Based Program, were the only avenues of access to the Catalina Chamber Volunteer Crew. This program, designed to accommodate your busy schedules, makes it possible for you to participate on Crew by providing the minimum additional information and training needed to become an active member of the Chamber's Volunteer Crew. The class consists of about 14 hours of mainland classroom lectures and one weekend on Catalina for Hands-On Chamber Operations (Chamber Ops) training. Topics covered by the mainland lectures include:
- Diving Physics and Physiology
- Decompression Sickness, Signs and Symptoms
- Air Embolism, Signs and Symptoms
- Decompression Tables
- Treatment Tables
- Use of Hyperbaric Oxygen
- Patient Care, Assessment and Treatment
- Chamber Operations
- Recording Protocols
- Treatment Case Histories
The general schedule for the weekend Hands-On Chamber Operations class is:
- Friday Night
- Depart San Pedro (or Long Beach) to Two Harbors
- Arrive Catalina Chamber
- Walk through Chamber startup/shutdown procedures
- Perform a Chamber Dive at each crew position
- Rapid Field Neurological Exam
- Universal Precautions
- Perform Treatment Simulation Dives at each crew position
- Accident Scenario
- Depart Two Harbors to San Pedro (or Long Beach)
Although there are no prerequisites for attending the Mainland Weekend class there are prerequisites for going through the Hands-On Chamber Ops class to become a member of the Chamber Volunteer Crew. They are:
- Diving Certification
- CPR Certification
- Medical Clearance to Dive - A diving physical signed by a physician within a year of your Island Hands-On training class is needed in order to be able to "dive" in the Chamber - you may use a medical form from your training agency, an RSTC medical form, or our Clearance for Hyperbaric Exposure form.
- A Desire to Help
The Mainland Weekend class tuition is $25.00 (to cover material costs). Once you go through the Mainland Weekend class you can decide if you want to continue on to the Hands-On Chamber Ops class.
For the Hands-On Chamber Ops class you will be responsible for your parking and transportation to the island. Tuition for the Hands-On Chamber Ops course is $300 and housing for the two nights is $80. Your $300 tuition will be used to purchase two Catalina Express Commuter Books (currently a $495 value) for your subsequent trips to the island to volunteer (normally 10 weekend roundtrips).
If you plan on fulfilling your initial (30 day) Volunteer Crew commitment with fewer trips of longer duration the $300 tuition can be waived and you will be responsible for your transportation to and from the island (this can also apply if you plan on utilizing the school boat, or use of your own boat for transportation to and from the island).
The cost (excluding food and based on the current parking, Express, & housing rates) for the two weekends ($499.50) is balanced out when the two Catalina Express Commuter Books ($525 value) are taken into account:
- $25.00 - Registration fee for Class Materials
- $72.50 - Catalina Express Travel to and from Island
- $80.00 - Housing for Two Nights at the Wrigley Marine Lab
- $24.00 - Express Parking (Two Nights)
- $300.00 - Chamber Ops Tuition
- $501.50 - Total Initial Cost
- $540.00 - Two Catalina Express Commuter Books purchased by Chamber
- - $38.50 - Overall Cost
To sign up for the mainland classroom date fill in and submit the
on-line registration form.
Your Hands-On Chamber Ops island weekend will be scheduled at your mainland classroom session. In order to sign up for the Hands-On Chamber Ops class you must commit to scheduling at least 15 days of your 30-day Internship time prior to taking the Hands-On Chamber Ops Class. The 15 days can be distributed anyway you want them, from five weekends (Friday evening to Sunday afternoon counts as three days) to all 15 days in a row.
If you have any questions you may e-mail the Chamber at email@example.com or call at 310-510-4020.
We look forward to seeing you on Crew.