Advisement and Registration
All students should meet with a faculty adviser once a semester before registering for courses. Students are encouraged to consult with an adviser at any time during the semester, and several advisers are available in the weeks immediately prior to registration. Faculty advisers help students shape their major according to their evolving interests and the requirements for the English Major. Students should consult the Director of Undergraduate Studies and the department’s undergraduate staff coordinator about such matters as departmental clearances and course substitutions.
Before speaking to an adviser about registration, students must first consult the department’s online information on the English Major and must bring a copy of their university STARS report with them to the advisement session.
Advisement for all students in the Department of English for Fall 2014
Faculty advising for Fall 2014 in the English Department will run from Monday, March 24 thru Friday, March 28. There will be several faculty advisers available every day, and you may also consult with any English faculty member. Online registration will begin Wednesday, April 2. To check for your appointment date and time log-on OASIS via MyUSC and then click on permit to register. Registration appointment times are assigned by the number of units completed.
Please note that we will have JUST ONE WEEK of intensive advisement with many faculty on hand, and we strongly advise that you start early in the week when it is easiest to find an adviser. A list of the faculty who are advising will be posted outside the department office THH 404. You do not need an appointment to see a faculty adviser. Mrs. Rebecca Woods, our Undergraduate Coordinator, also will be available for advising on a walk-in basis during the advising period.
If you are in Thematic Option, follow the advising information in this posting. Clearance for registration in CORE classes will be handled by the TO office.
If you are in Narrative Studies, read the information posted at
and then consult directly with Mr. Juan Lopez in College Advising, or with our Director of Undergraduate Studies in Taper Hall 402B.
If you are in the English Department, the rest of this email is for you. Overall information can be found on our department website at
- For advisement and registration information, click on our website tab for “Advisement and Registration.” From there you can download a copy of the Advising Record we will use. Make sure you get the right one! (Most students will need the “Old” version for students entering prior to Fall 2012.)
- Descriptions of English courses for Fall 2014 will be available on our website. Monday, March 24. Click on our undergraduate tab for “Courses.” Read the descriptions carefully to see what is really happening in English (the official titles often do not tell you much).
- Within the English major you can emphasize either English Literature or Creative Writing; click on our undergraduate tab for “English Major.” If you started at USC before Fall 2012 you must follow the requirements for the old program.
- Requirements for the English Minor will be found under “Minors.”
- Requirements and courses for the Interdisciplinary Minor in Early Modern Studies will be found under “Minors.”
- AFTER you have chosen your courses and times, come speak with us. You absolutely must bring your university STARS report with you.
- Your adviser will complete the Advising Record with you, which you must then bring immediately to Ms. Rebecca Woods, our Undergraduate Coordinator, in the English Department office, Taper Hall 404.
Director of Undergraduate Studies
- USC Dornsife Department of English
- 3501 Trousdale Parkway
- Taper Hall of Humanities 404
- University Park
- Los Angeles, CA 90089-0354
- Fax: (213) 741-0377
- Phone: (213) 740 - 2808
- Email: email@example.com