Advisement and Registration
All students should meet with a faculty adviser once a semester before registering for courses. Students are encouraged to consult with an adviser at any time during the semester, and several advisers are available in the weeks immediately prior to registration. Faculty advisers help students shape their major according to their evolving interests and the requirements for the English Major. Students should consult the Director of Undergraduate Studies and the department’s undergraduate staff coordinator about such matters as departmental clearances and course substitutions.
Before speaking to an adviser about registration, students must first consult the department’s online information on the English Major and must bring a copy of their university STARS report with them to the advisement session.
Advisement for all students in the Department of English for Fall 2013
We have many new courses and new programs for Fall 2013. Our advisers, and the information included here, will help steer you through the many exciting opportunities and changes in the English Department.
Faculty advising for Fall 2013 in the English Department will run from March 25-29 (Monday to Friday). There will be several faculty advisers available every day, but you may also consult with any English faculty member. Online registration will begin immediately after we complete our regular advising.
Please note that we will have JUST ONE WEEK of intensive advisement with many faculty on hand, and we strongly advise that you start early in the week when it is easiest to find an adviser. A list of the faculty who are advising is available here and will be posted outside the department office.
You do not need an appointment to see a faculty adviser. Mrs. Rebecca Woods, our Undergraduate Coordinator, also will be available for advising; you must make an appointment to see her in the department office. If you are in Thematic Option in your first year, the T.O. office will advise you.
Before you speak with an adviser, please consult the following:
- Overall information about the Undergraduate program in the English Department can be found at:
About the Undergraduate Program
- The procedures listed in this mailing about "Advisement and Registration" will also be found at:
Advisement and Registration
- Descriptions of all the English courses for Fall 2012 will be found at:
Spring 2013 Course Descriptions PDF
Notice that the official course titles in the Schedule of Classes are not very useful for understanding just what will happen in each course. Read the descriptions carefully to see what is really happening in English.
- The English major has an emphasis in ENGLISH LITERATURE and an emphasis in CREATIVE WRITING. The requirements for each are spelled out in the section on “Tracks and Requirements” found at:
Tracks and Requirements
- Requirements for the major in NARRATIVE STUDIES will be found at:
Narrative Studies Major
You will also find there a useful list of the courses offered in Narrative Studies across the university in Spring 2013.
- Requirements for the English MINOR will be found at:
- Requirements and Courses for the Interdisciplinary Minor in Early Modern Studies will be found at:
Interdisciplinary Minor in Early Modern Studies
After you have chosen your courses and times, come speak with us.
- You absolutely must bring your University STARS report with you.
- Your adviser will complete an Advising Record with you, which you must then bring immediately to the Undergraduate Coordinator in the English Department office. You may download a copy of the Advisory forms here: OLD Program; NEW Program
Registration is handled online by you through OASIS starting just after we conclude our advising in the English Department, so we urge you to start early.
Professor Lawrence D. Green
Director of Undergraduate Studies
- USC Dornsife Department of English
- 3501 Trousdale Parkway
- Taper Hall of Humanities 404
- University Park
- Los Angeles, CA 90089-0354
- Fax: (213) 741-0377
- Phone: (213) 740 - 2808
- Email: email@example.com