The Association for Japan-U.S. Community Exchange (ACE) - Nikaido Fellowship provides stipends of up to $5,000 to awarded students, depending on the proposed course of study. Most awards are given in smaller increments based on proposed project. The award may be used for research, Japanese language training or Japanese area studies. The purpose of the award is to advance understanding of Japan and/or US-Japan relations.
Note: If proposed project is not completed during the original award period, award must be forfeited.
- Full-time USC graduate student from any discipline of study
- Domestic or international student
- Must be engaged in the research and study of Japan or U.S.-Japan relations
To apply, please complete the online application and upload the following supplemental materials in electronic format:
- Personal Statement: In no more than 2-3 pages please describe your scholarly or professional ambitions, particularly as they relate to incorporating a specialization on Japan and Japanese studies into your future plans, and describe the research or program of study you will follow during the award period. *Include a budget proposal, no more than 1-page in length.
- Unofficial USC Transcript/STARS Report: Copy and paste your STARS report, accessible through OASIS, into a Word or PDF file. Be sure to include your grades from fall 2013.
- Two Letters of Recommendation: Recommenders should provide an overview of your academic performance, maturity, and potential. Applicants: Please have your recommenders send their letters to email@example.com as a Word or PDF file.
- East Asian Studies Center
- University of Southern California
- 823 W. 34th Street
- College House (CLH 101)
- Los Angeles, CA 90089
- Phone: (213) 740 - 2991
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org