The department as well as the university provides time on our computational nodes for all members' research.
Geosys Linux Systems
Geosys is the central system to the department's network Linux clients and compute nodes. It can be accessed via any ssh program such as Putty and X-win from Windows, or Terminal and X11 from Macs. If you are new to Linux, you can also use our virtual desktop software, NX, to access Geosys from your PC or Mac. Contact the system adminstrator for an account email@example.com. Once you have an account, more detailed information can be found at http://geosys.usc.edu/wiki.
- Centralized Linux Server
- 20 Distributed Clients
- 6 Large memory, multiple CPU's machines
- 96 node, dual processor cluster
- Large storage RAID array
- NoMachine virtual desktops
- 8 Dell Poweredge 1950 dual duo-core Intel Xeon w/ 2GB RAM
- 4 IBM Xseries dual duo-core Intel Xeon w/ 2GB RAM
- 72 SUN servers w/ dual duo-core Intel Xeon w/ 2GB RAM
- 1 Large shared memory, quad duo-core AMD Opteron with 32GB RAM
- 1 Large shared memory, dual duo-core AMD Opteron with 32GB RAM
- 1 Large shared memory, dual quad-core Intel Xeon with 16GB RAM
- 1 Large shared memory, dual duo-core Intel Xeon with 32GB RAM
- 2 Large shared memory, dual six-core Intel Xeon with 64GB RAM
- 20 TB disk storage
Geodynamics Linux Cluster
Dedicated Linux compute nodes for the Geodynamics group.
- 148 node, dual processor cluster
- See http://geodynamics.usc.edu/resources.html
Official researchers with an almaak account at USC has some limited access to the university's main compute nodes. Research groups can also buy in to this system for larger dedicated queues.
- 1893 Linux nodes
- Large memory machine (Sun Microsystems X4600)
The department has one windows server, mydesktop.usc.edu, that you can access remote. Contact your system administrator for an account. Windows XP/Vista have the Remote Desktop client built in already. Linux has a package called rdesktop on most distributions, and you can download the Mac client from http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/remote-desktop/default.mspx
- Zumberge Hall of Science (ZHS)
- Los Angeles, CA 90089-0740
- Phone: (213) 740-6106
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org