Admissions & Financial Aid
The Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures (EALC) currently offers a Ph.D. degree. We no longer offer a terminal M.A. degree. Students seeking a terminal M.A. degree should not apply.
Applicants for admission to the Graduate Program are expected to have a bachelor's degree in East Asian Studies or other appropriate fields, knowledge of at least one East Asian language, and a combined GRE score of at least 1000. International students should also submit satisfactory scores on a TOEFL exam taken in the last two years. The Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures accepts applications for admission to the Fall term only.
To receive priority consideration for fellowship funding, applications and supporting documents must be received by December 1, 2012. To begin the online application process, please go to http://www.usc.edu/admission/graduate/.
The following application materials must be submitted online at the Graduate Admissions Office Website http://www.usc.edu/admission/graduate/apply/index.html:
- A completed online application form and application fee
- Statement of Purpose with specific information about interests and goals--upload online as PDF
- Three (3) letters of recommendation--recommenders can upload their letter online or mail directly to the department
- Writing Sample (written in English)--upload online as PDF file
The following application materials must be mailed directly to:
USC Office of Graduate Admission
University Park Campus
Los Angeles, CA 90089-0911
- Official GRE Scores -- Official scores must be sent to USC Graduate Admission by the testing agency. ETS School Code: 4852.
- Official TOEFL scores (for international students)-- Official scores must be sent to USC Graduate Admission by the testing agency. ETS School Code: 4852.
- Official Academic Transcripts from ALL institutions attended--International students should submit transcripts, degrees, and diplomas in both their original language and in English translation.
The following application materials must be emailed as PDF files directly to the department: email@example.com
- PDF of online application for Graduate Admission
- PDF of Statement of Purpose
- PDF files of three (3) letters of recommendation emailed directly to the department by the recommenders (hard copies are optional)
- PDF of Writing Sample
- PDF of GRE Scores and TOEFL Scores
- PDF of Academic Transcripts from each institution attended
Optional hard copies of these materials can be mailed to:
Department of East Asian Languages & Cultures - Graduate Admissions
University of Southern California
3501 Trousdale Parkway, THH 356
Los Angeles, CA 90089-0357
Financial aid is available in the form of university-wide fellowships administered by the Graduate School, National Resource Fellowships administered by the East Asian Studies Center, departmental fellowships, and a wide variety of other fellowships. Graduate assistantships, for Ph.D. students only, are also available from the EALC department in the language programs (Chinese, Japanese, and Korean) as well as for the culture and literature courses. However, we strongly suggest that applicants visit the USC Graduate School financial resources page to view all funding options available. After reviewing the materials, you should contact those programs or agencies which meet your qualifications and needs, and obtain an application. Although the majority of these sources are for U.S. citizens, there are a number for which international students are eligible.
All doctoral students are provided with a competitive funding package in the form of fellowships, research/teaching assistantships, or a combination of these. Students also receive full tuition and health insurance benefits.
- Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures
- University of Southern California
- Taper Hall 356
- Los Angeles, California 90089-0357
All photos taken by Elissa L., Yulee Kim and Ka Wong
- Phone: (213) 740 - 3707
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org