Jo Ann FarverProfessor of Psychology
Phone: (213) 740-3965
Office: SGM 525B
- Ph.D. , University of California, Los Angeles, 1989
- Professor, University of Southern California, 09/01/2010-
- Associate Professor, University of Southern California, 09/01/1997-08/30/2010
- Assistant Professor, University of Southern California, 09/01/1991-08/01/1997
- Promoting School Readiness Skills of Spanish-speaking English Language Learners (NICHD), JoAnn M. Farver, Christopher J. Lonigan, $2,771,619, 01/2009-12/2014
- Intergenerational Transmission of Alcohol Involvement (NIH), Luczak, S., Farver, J.M., McArdle, J., & Prescott, C. (Co-investigators), $3,382,397, 07/2009-06/2014
- Development of a Comprehensive Assessment System for Spanish-Speaking English-Language Learners' (US Department of Education IES), JoAnn M. Farver, Christopher J. Lonigan, $1,712,848, 04/2009-04/2013
- Enhancing Literacy Outcomes For Young Children (National Science Foundation), Farver, JoAnn Marie, $6,212,993, 10/01/2001-09/30/2009
- Bornstein, M. H., Bradley, R., Chen, X., Farver, J. M., Gold, S., Hernandez, D. J., Phalet, K., Spielt, C., Suarez-Orozco, C., R. van de Vijver, A. J., Yoshikawa, H., Bernard, J. (2012). Psychological acculturation: Perspectives, principles, processes, and prospects. The International Handbook of Migration Studies New York: Routledge.
- Goodrich, J. M., Lonigan, J. C., Farver, J. M. (2013). Do Early Literacy Skills in Children’s First Language Promote Development of Skills in Their Second Language?: An Experimental Evaluation of Transfer. Journal of Educational Psychology.
- Lonigan, C. J., Farver, J. M., Nakamoto, J., Eppe, S. (2012). Developmental trajectories of preschool early literacy skills: A comparison of English-language learners and monolingual English-speakers. Developmental Psychology.
- Farver, J. M., Xu, Y., Lonigan, C. J. (2012). Home Environments and Latino Preschoolers’ Early Literacy Skills. Developmental Psychology.
- Usta, J., Farver, J. M., Dandachi, D. (2011). Child Maltreatment: The Lebanese Children’s Experiences. Child: Care, Health & Development.
- Lonigan, C. J., Farver, J. M., Phillips, B., Clancy-Menchetti, J. (2011). Promoting the Development of Preschool Children’s Emergent Literacy Skills: A Randomized Evaluation of a Literacy-Focused Curriculum and Two Professional Development Models. Reading and Writing Quarterly: An interdisciplinary journal. (24), pp. 305-337.
- Usta, J., Farver, J. M. (2010). Child Sexual Abuse and Maltreatment in Lebanon During War and Peace. Child: Care, Health and Development. Vol. 36, pp. 361-368.
- Xu, Y., Farver, J. M., Zhang, Z. (2009). Temperament, harsh and indulgent parenting, and Chinese children’s proactive and reactive aggression. Child Development. Vol. 80, pp. 244-258.
- Xu, Y., Farver, J. M. (2009). What makes you shy? Situational elicitors of shyness in Chinese children. International Journal of Behavioral Development. Vol. 33, pp. 97-104.
- Farver, J. M., Lonigan, C. J., Eppe, S. (2009). Effective Early Literacy Skill Development for Young Spanish-Speaking English Language Learners: An Experimental Study of Two Methods. Child Development. Vol. 80, pp. 703-719.
- Xu, Y., Farver, J. M., Yu, L., Zhang, Z. (2009). Three Types of Shyness in Chinese Children and the Relation to Effortful Control. Journal of Social and Personality Psychology. Vol. 97, pp. 1061-1073..
- Usta, J., Farver, J. M. (2008). Women, war and violence: Surviving the Lebanese experience. Journal of Women's Health. Vol. 17, pp. 1-12.
- Xu, Y., Farver, J. M., Yang, Y., Zeng, Q. (2008). Chinese children’s conception of shyness: A prototype approach. Merrill-Palmer Quarterly. Vol. 54, pp. 515-544.
- Farver, J. M., Nakamoto, J., Lonigan, C. J. (2007). Assessing Preschoolers’ Emergent Literacy Skills in English and Spanish with the Get Ready to Read! Screening Tool. Annals of Dsylexia/Elsevier. Vol. 2007
- Usta, J., Farver, J. M. (2007). Domestic Violence: The Lebanese experience. Public Health. Vol. 121, pp. 208-219.
- Mellon Award for Excellence in Mentoring, 4/2006-
- Mellon Award for Excellence in Mentoring, 4/2005-
- USC Associates Award For Excellence In Teaching, The highest homor the university faculty bedtows on its members for outstanding teaching, 2012
- Associate Editor, British Journal of Educational Psychology, 11/11/2011-
- Editorial Board, Social Development, 01/2010-
Academic Appointment, Affiliation, and Employment History
Description of Research
Summary Statement of Research Interests
Professor Farver's research and teaching specialties are in the area of development psychology, especially the social development of young children (including play, prosocial and aggressive behavior); cross-cultural developmental psychology; violence and young children; and early literacy. Professor Farver's current research projects include: 1). Cross-cultural studies of Mainland Chinese school age children's social development and socio-emotional functioning; 2). Carrying out a large scale, 6-year project funded by the National Science Foundation to enhance the emergent literacy skills of at-risk inner city preschoolers, on which she is the Principal Investigator, 3). Developing a Spanish language early literacy skill assessment funded by the U.S. Department of Education, and testing a bilingual/transitional model of early literacy for Latino children by varying the language of instruction funded by the NICHD.
Contracts and Grants Awarded
Honors and Awards
Service to the Profession
Editorships and Editorial Boards
- Department of Psychology
- University of Southern California
- SGM 501
- 3620 South McClintock Ave.
- Los Angeles, CA 90089-1061
- Phone: (213) 740 - 2203
- Email: email@example.com