View Faculty Video
Phone: (213) 740-3252
Office: THH 355 H
Judith Freeman is a novelist and critic, author of four novels, a collection of short stories, and one work of non-fiction. Her novels include The Chinchilla Farm, Set for Life (winner of the Western Heritage Award), A Desert of Pure Feeling, and most recently, Red Water, named one of the 100 best books of 2002 by the Los Angeles Times. Her non-fiction book, The Long Embrace: Raymond Chandler and the Woman He Loved, was chosen as one of the best books of 2007 by Newsweek, the Village Voice, Slate.com, and National Public Radio. In 1997 Judith received a John Simon Guggenheim Fellowship in Fiction. Her essays, reviews, and stories have appeared in numerous magazines and journals, including The Chicago Tribune, The Washington Post, and The New York Times. She teaches in The Masters of Professional Writing Program at the University of Southern California and has been a writer-in-residence at various workshops around the country. During a year spent in Rome in 1999, she collaborated with the composer Chris Theofanidis, providing the text for a piece for soprano and string instruments that was performed at Carnegie Hall, the American Academy in Rome, and the Da Camera Society in Houston. In 2005 she received a visiting Fellowship from the Rothermere American Institute at Oxford, and in 2006 was invited to be a visiting writer at Johns Hopkins University. Red Water was chosen as the #1 book of 2002 by the Tucson Book Review, and also short-listed for the Mountain and Plains Bookseller’s award. Widely reviewed, the New Yorker called it a novel “that makes astute points about the almost indistinguishable similarities between faith and love.” Judith lives in Los Angeles and Idaho with her husband, artist-photographer Anthony Hernandez.
Academic Appointment, Affiliation, and Employment History
- Part Time Lecturer, Master of Liberal Studies, University of Southern California , 08/27/2007-
- Part Time Lecturer, Master of Professional Writing, University of Southern California, 01/01/2004-
- Part Time Lecturer, Department of English, University of Southern California,
- Freeman, J. A. (2007). The Long Embrace: Raymond Chandler and the Woman He Loved. Pantheon.
- Freeman, J. A. (2002). Red Water. Pantheon.
- Freeman, J. A. (1996). A Desert of Pure Feeling. Pantheon.
- Freeman, J. A. (1992). Set For Life. New York, New York: W.W. Norton.
- Freeman, J. A. (1989). The Chinchilla Farm. New York, New York: W.W. Norton.
- Freeman, J. A. (1988). Family Attractions. Viking Press.
- Master of Professional Writing Program
- University of Southern California
- 3501 Trousdale Parkway
- Mark Taper Hall of Humanities, THH 355
- Los Angeles, California 90089-0355
- Phone: (213) 740 - 3252
- Email: email@example.com