Phone: (213) 740-3252
Office: THH 355 H
Syd Field is acclaimed as the “guru of all screenwriters” by CNN and “the most sought after screenwriting teacher in the world,” by the Hollywood Reporter. The internationally celebrated author of eight books on screenwriting, his classic Screenplay is considered “the Bible” of the film industry, published in 23 languages and used in more than 400 colleges and universities. He has conducted Screenwriting Workshops all over the world, including AFI, the Disney Studios, 20th Century Fox, Universal Studios, the Nike Corporation and annually conducts The Visual Art of Storytelling for the scientists of JPL and NASA. He was inducted into the prestigious Final Draft Hall of Fame in 2006.
- B.A. English Literature, University of California, Berkley, 1960
Academic Appointment, Affiliation, and Employment History
- Lecturer, Fundacion Autor, Madrid, Barcelona, Spain, 01/01/2005-01/01/2006
- Lecturer, IMCINE, Mexico City, 01/01/1996-01/01/1999
- Lecturer, MPA, Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo, Brasilia, 01/01/1995-01/01/1999
- Lecturer, MPA, Buenos Aires, Argentina, 01/01/1995-01/01/1999
- Lecturer, National Film School, Austria, 01/01/1993-01/01/1995
- Lecturer, National School of the Arts, Berlin, Munich, 01/01/1985-01/01/1992
- Lecturer, National Schools of the Arts, Canada, 01/01/1983-01/01/1991
- Lecturer, School of Cinematic Arts, University of California, Los Angeles, 01/01/1988-01/01/1989
- Lecturer, University of California, Berkley, English, Film, 01/01/1987-01/01/1988
- Lecturer, American Film Institute, Screenwriting, 01/01/1985-01/01/1988
- Lecturer, Filmic Writing, University of Southern California , 01/01/1985-01/01/1988
- Lecturer, National Film School, Oslo, Norway, 01/01/1984-01/01/1987
- Lecturer, Whispering Woods Film School, Mumbai, India,
- Lecturer, Art Center College of Design, Dept of Film,
- Lecturer, University of California, Santa Barbara, Creative Writing,
- Lecturer, Ministry of Culture, Brussels, Belgium,
- Lecturer, Ministry of Culture, Johannesburg, South Africa,
- Lecturer, University of Washington, Seattle, Dept of Film,
- Lecturer, New York University, Cinema,
- Lecturer, Film, University of Texas, Austin,
- Lecturer, Harvard University, Theater,
- Lecturer, Theater, Yale University,
- Lecturer, American University, Paris,
- Lecturer, National Film School,
- (2006). The Screenwriter’s Workbook, Revised. Dell Publishing Co..
- Bantam/Doubleday/Dell (Ed.). (2005). Screenplay. Dell Publishing Co..
- (2005). Screenplay, Revised. Dell Publishing Co..
- (2003). The Definitive Guide to Screenwriting. Dell Publishing Co..
- (2001). Going to the Movies. Dell Publishing Co..
- (1998). The Screenwriter’s Problem Solver. Dell Publishing Co..
- (1994). Four Screenplays. Dell Publishing Co..
- (1989). Selling the Screenplay. Dell Publishing Co..
- (1984). The Screenwriter’s Workbook. Dell Publishing Co..
Multimedia Scholarship and Creative Works
- "After Life", an original screenplay, Fall 2009
- "My Name is Khan", Script Consultant, now in production, Universal Studios, Fall 2009
- "Pauch Kirov 5", an original screenplay, now in pre-production, Fall 2009
- Bullet Point Reviews, Crackle Network, Sony Pictures, Fall 2009
- Conversations with Cass, Public Broadcasting, Special Guest Subject, Show currently in Production, Fall 2009
- Developing Screenwriting Apps for iPhone , in production, Black Mana Studios , Fall 2009
- Screen Play, Webcast/Television Series in production, Fall 2009
New Courses Developed
- Visual Art of Story Telling, Catalyst Workshops, A course designed for scientists and engineers to help them understand the principles of visual story telling., 2004-
Honors and Awards
- Guest lecturer, Catalyst Workshop, NASA, JPL, AFI, 8/1/2005-
- Guest lecturer, AFI Catalyst Workshop for scientists, NASA, JPL, Fall 2009
- Member, USC Ambassadors Society, Fall 2009
- Member, USC Torchbearer Society, Fall 2009
- Recipient, Final Draft Hall of Fame Award, 11/22/2006
- Artist in Residence, Warsaw, Poland, 4/22/2006-4/29/2006
- Jury Member, Polish Film Festival, Los Angeles, CA, 5/1/2005
- First Inductee, American Screenwriter’s Hall of Fame Award, 7/4/2004
- Final Judge, Final Draft Big Break Competition, 4/4/1999-6/18/2004
- Artist in Residence, IMCINE, Mexico City, MPAA, Rio de Janiero, Buenos Aires, 5/15/1994-8/8/1999
- Member, Advisory Board, American Film Institute, 3/13/1987-8/15/1991
- Member, Advisory Board, USC, Filmic Writing Program, 1/18/1984-12/15/1988
- President, International Film Jury, Flanders Film Festival, 10/10/1988-10/21/1988
- Final Judge, Nissan Focus Screenwriting Competition, 6/4/1982-11/12/1987
- Advisor, National Endowment of the Arts, 4/4/1985-6/16/1987
- Special Guest Speaker, Norwegian Film Festival, 1/18/1986-1/28/1986
- Chairperson, Academic Liaison Committee, Writer’s Guild of America, 1/5/1984-1/20/1986
- Master of Professional Writing Program
- University of Southern California
- 3501 Trousdale Parkway
- Mark Taper Hall of Humanities, THH 355
- Los Angeles, California 90089-0355
- Phone: (213) 740 - 3252
- Email: email@example.com