Judith BennettJohn R. Hubbard Chair in British History and Professor of History
Phone: (213) 821-2544
Office: SOS 174
Web Access to Judith Bennett's Publications
Judith Bennett writes on medieval history, feminist history, and the history of women in late medieval England specifically. She has published extensively on peasant women, women's work, and never-married women. She has also published two textbooks, one a biography of a medieval peasant woman and the other a short history of the Middle Ages. Her most recent book (2006) offers an extended commentary on current practices in women's and gender history. For web access to Judith Bennett's publications, click on the link above.
- Ph.D. Medieval Studies, University of Toronto, 1981
- Licentiate History, Pontifical Institute of Mediaeval Studies, 1978
- M.A. Medieval Studies, University of Toronto, 1974
- A.B. History, Mount Holyoke College, 1973
Academic Appointment, Affiliation, and Employment History
- Assistant Professor to Martha Nell Hardy Distinguished Professor Emerita, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1981-2005
Affiliations with Research Centers, Labs, and Other Institutions
- EMSI: Early Modern Studies Institute
- IBIS: Institute for British and Irish Studies
- Bennett, J. M. (2010). Medieval Europe: A Short History (11th edition: McGraw-Hill, 2011).
- Bennett, J. M. (2006). History Matters: Patriarchy and the Challenge of Feminism. Philadelphia, PA: University of Pennsylvania Press.
- Bennett, J. M. (2000). Medieval Women in Modern Perspective (American Historical Association pamphlet, 2000).
- Bennett, J. M. (1999). Singlewomen in the European Past, 1250-1800, coedited with Amy Froide (University of Pennsylvania Press, 1999).
- Bennett, J. M. (1998). A Medieval Life: Cecilia Penifader of Brigstock, c. 1297-1344 (McGraw-Hill, 1998).
- Bennett, J. M. (1996). Ale, Beer, and Brewsters in England: Women's Work in a Changing World, 1300 to 1600. (Oxford University Press, 1996).
- Bennett, J. M. (1989). Sisters and Workers in The Middle Ages, coedited with Elizabeth A. Clark, et al. (University of Chicago Press, 1989).
- Bennett, J. M. (1987). Women in the Medieval English Countryside: Gender and Household in Brigstock before the Plague (Oxford University Press, 1987).
Honors and Awards
- Huntington Library Research Fellowship Recipient, R. Stanton Avery Distinguished Fellow, 2007-2008
- American Council of Learned Societies Fellowship Recipient, 2005-2006
- National Endowment for the Humanities Fellowship Recipient, 2005-2006
- Fellow, Medieval Academy of America, 2002
- Otto Grundler Prize in Medieval Studies (for Ale, Beer, and Brewsters in England), 1998
- Folger Shakespeare Library Fellowship, 1997
- Fellow, Royal Historical Society,, 1996
- National Humanities Center Fellowship, 1993-1994
- Walter D. Love Prize in British Studies (for "Conviviality and Charity in Medieval and Early Modern England")., 1992
- Guggenheim Fellowship Recipient, John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation Fellowship, 1989-1990