Aimee BenderProfessor of English
Phone: (213) 821-0477
Office: THH 431
- B.A. Literature/Creative Writing, UCSD, 1991
- M.F.A. Fiction, University of California, Irvine, 1998
- Bender, A. (2010). The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake. New York, New York: Doubleday.
- Bender, A. M. (2005). Willful Creatures. New York: Doubleday.
- Bender, A. M. (2000). An Invisible Sign of my Own, Doubleday 2000.
- Bender, A. M. (1998). The Girl in the Flammable Skirt, Doubleday 1998.
- Bender, A. (2011). Intro to 50th Edition of James and the Giant Peach. New York, NY: Penguin Books.
- Bender, A. (2007). "Lemonade" in Tin House. (Rob Spillman, Ed.). Portland, Oregon. Tin House Magazine.
- Bender, A. M. (2007). "Interval" in Conjunctions. New York, NY. Conjunctions, at Bard College.
- opera libretto, Completed workshop for opera libretto and music (by composer John B Hedges) in Dec 06, at Curtis School of Music in Philadelphia, 2006-2007
- Radio Story, Commissioned to do radio/science short story for "Studio 360" using Big Bang theories after a conversation with USC physicist Nicholas Warner, Spring 2011
- Judge, story contest, Mid-American Review, 2006-2007
- PEN West Mentor of the Year, for Emerging Writers Program, 2006-2007
- Pushcart Prize, 2005-2006
Description of Research
Summary Statement of Research Interests
Interests: Contemporary fiction, surrealism, magical realism, experimental fiction, classic and new tellings of fairy tales, the short story, the novel, the short-short, the novella, the process of writing, the curious world of the writing workshop.
Multimedia Scholarship and Creative Works
Honors and Awards
- USC Dornsife Department of English
- 3501 Trousdale Parkway
- Taper Hall of Humanities 404
- University Park
- Los Angeles, CA 90089-0354
- Fax: (213) 741-0377
- Phone: (213) 740 - 2808
- Email: email@example.com