Frank CorsettiProfessor of Earth Sciences
Phone: (213) 740-6123
Office: ZHS 211
Faculty Profile on Departmental Website
Frank studies the co-evolution of the Earth and its biosphere from a geobiologic perspective, searching for traces of life in deep (and not so deep) time—how has life affected the history of our planet, and how has the history of our planet affected the evolution of life? He is probably most noted for his studies of life during “Snowball Earth”, the most severe glaciation known that occurred ~700 million years ago, but other recent projects include the origin of animals, mass extinctions, and investigations into new biosignatures for use with ancient rocks on Earth and other locales in our solar system (e.g., Mars). Frank has studied rocks as old as 3.5 billion years and as young as those forming today, and field sites are located in the US, Canada, Mexico, Peru, Australia, Namibia, and China.
- B.S. Geology, University of California, Davis, 1/1989
- Ph.D. Geological Sciences, University of California, Santa Barbara, 12/1998
- Postdoctoral Researcher, UCSB, 1999-2000
- Associate Professor, University of Southern California, 03/2006-2008
- Assistant Professor of Earth Sciences, University of Southern California, 09/01/2000-03/01/2006
- Lecturer, Historical Geology, General Geology, and Field Paleontology, University of California, Santa Barbara, 01/01/1999-06/01/1999
- Corsetti, F. A. (2009). Extinction before the Snowball. pp. 386-389. Nature Geoscience.
- Petryshyn, V. A., Corsetti, F. A., Berelson, W., Beaumont, W., Lund, S. "Stromatolite lamination frequency, Walker Lake, Nevada; Implications for stromatolites as biosignatures." Geology (2012).
- Loyd, S., Corsetti, F. A., Berelson, W., Lyons, T., Hammond, D. D. "A Novel Application of the Carbonate-Associated Sulfate Method: Insights into Varying Pathways of Microbial Meditation for Carbonate Concretions of the Miocene Monterey Formation, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, v." Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta Vol. 78. (2012): 77–98.
- Petryshyn, V. A., Corsetti, F. A. "Analysis of growth directions of columnar stromatolites from Walker Lake, western Nevada." Geobiology/Blackwell Vol. 9. (2011): 425–435.
- Marenco, P., Corsetti, F. A., Bottjer, D. J. (2008). Environmental and diagenetic variations in Carbonate Associated Sulfate: An investigation of CAS in Early Triassic sedimentary rocks from the Western U.S.A. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta. Vol. 72, pp. 1570-1582.
- Loyd, S., Becker, T. W., Conrad, C., Lithgow-Bertelloni, C., Corsetti, F. A. (2007). Time-variability in Cenozoic reconstructions of mantle heat flow: plate tectonic cycles and implications for Earth's thermal evolution. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. Vol. 104, pp. 14266-14271..
- Bailey, J., Corsetti, F. A. (2007). Evidence of giant sulfur bacteria in Neoproterozoic phosphorites. Nature. Vol. 445, pp. 198-201.
- Olcott, A., Corsetti, F. A. (2005). Biomarker Evidence for Photosynthesis During Neoproterozoic Glaciation. Science. Vol. 310, pp. 471-474.
- Fellow (or Equivalent) of National Society in Discipline, Fellow, Geological Society of America, 2012-2013
- USC or School/Dept Award for Teaching, USC College Award for General Education Teaching, 2010-2011
- USC Center for Excellence in Teaching, Faculty Fellow, 8/1/2008-8/1/2011
- National Academies Kavli Frontiers in Science Conference Invitee, Fall 2007
- USC Mellon Mentorship Award, Faculty to Graduate Student Advising, 2006-2007
- Certificate of Appreciation, Geological Society of America, 2005
- USC Zumberge Research and Innovation Fund Award, 2004-2005
- Member, Geological Society of America Graduate Student Grants Committee, 2002-2005
- Poster Session Chair and Organizer, AAPG National Meeting, Long Beach, CA, I was the Poster Chair for the Technical program for the meeting (the whole meeting, not just one session...)., 2005-2007
- Associate Editor, Journal of Sedimentary Research, 2009-
- Editorial Board, Geobiology, 2005-
- Associate Editor, Palaios, 04/15/2006-04/15/2008
- Chair, Geological Society of America Geomicrobiology Division, 2010-2012
- Vice Chair, Geological Society of America Geomicrobiology Division, 2008-2010
- President, Pacific Section SEPM (Society for Sedimentary Geology), 2009-2010
- President-Elect, Pacific Section SEPM (Society for Sedimentary Geology), 2008-2009
- Secretary, Geological Society of America Geomicrobiology Division, 2006-2008
- American Geophysical Union (AGU), 2010-
- Society for Sedimentary Geology (SEPM), 2000-
- Geological Society of America, Member, 1992-
Academic Appointment, Affiliation, and Employment History
Tenure Track Appointments
Non-Tenure Track Appointments
Honors and Awards
Service to the Profession
Editorships and Editorial Boards
- Zumberge Hall of Science (ZHS)
- Los Angeles, CA 90089-0740
- Phone: (213) 740-6106
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org