John BowltProfessor of Slavic Languages and Literatures
Phone: (213) 740-2735
Office: THH 255
Description of Research
Summary Statement of Research Interests
Professor Bowlt studies the history of late 19th and early 20th Century Russian art. This includes the careers of individual artists such as Bakst, Benois, Filonov, Kandinsky, Malevich, Somov and Tatlin and philosophical issues such as the concept of zero in the avant-garde and the occult dimension of Symbolism. He currently studies the material culture of Russia's Silver Age.
history of 20th century russian painting, architecture, and design, russian modernism
Conferences and Other Presentations
- "Chair and commentator for the section "New Man, New Woman" ", "Legacies of the Russian Avant-Garde" , Talk/Oral Presentation, New York , Columbia University, Invited, 2012-2013
- ""David Kakabadze" ", David Kakabadze, Lecture/Seminar, Tbilisi, National Gallery of Art, Invited, 06/30/2013
- ""The Russian Avant-Garde and War" ", Avant-Garde and War, Lecture/Seminar, Belgrade, University of Belgrade, Invited, 06/26/2013
- ""The Russian Avant-Garde". ", Graduate Seminar, Lecture/Seminar, Jerusalem, Hebrew University, Invited, 06/02/2013-06/04/2013
- ""Kingdom of Mystery: Nicholas Roerich and The Rite of Spring" ", The Rite of Spring, Lecture/Seminar, Los Angeles, Music Center, Invited, 02/02/2013
- ""Higher, Ever Higher: Letatlin" ", Vladimir Tatlin, Lecture/Seminar, Basel, Museum Tinguely, Invited, 09/27/2012
- ""Russian Émigré Collections" ", Russian Emigration, Lecture/Seminar, Amherst, Amherst College, Invited, 03/30/2012
- Bowlt, John E, Misler, Nicoletta, anbd Petrova, Evgeniia (Ed.). (2013). «Fire and Ice»,. pp. 18-27. Milan. Skira.
- Bowlt, John E, Misler, Nicoletta, anbd Petrova, Evgeniia (Ed.). (2013). «A Profound and Endless Space». pp. 35-43. Milan. Skira.
- S. Kudrasov (Ed.). (2013). "Russian Artists and the East". pp. 6-7. Moscow. Stroganov University.
- H. Danuser, H. Zimmermann (Ed.). (2013). "Kingdom of Mystery: The Artistic Ideas of Nicholas Roerich". pp. 356-379. London. Boosey and Hawkes.
- S. Scheijen (Ed.). (2013). "The Samovar and the Chasm". pp. 34-41. Maastricht. Bonnefantemuseum.
- N. Kurnikova (Ed.). (2013). "A.N Benua, Volshebnik". pp. 45-80. Moscow. Nashi khudozhniki.
- W. Otten (Ed.). (2013). "Die Zeichen as der Wand/The Writing on the Wall". pp. 29-48. Hohenews. Otten Kunstraum.
- N. Kurnikova (Ed.). (2013). "Leon Bakst as Ethnographer". pp. 80-112. Moscow. Nashi khudozhnik.
- M. Baryshnikov (Ed.). (2013). "Time and Motion". pp. unpaginated. New Yortk. ABA Gallery.
- J. Bowlt and T. Liptuga (Ed.). (2012). Ivan Miasoedov, radikal’nyi konservator". pp. 4-5, 120-126. Odessa. Odessa Literary Museum.
- L Kleberg (Ed.). (2012). "Vitrina i afisha". pp. 115-129. Huddinge. Soedertoerns hoegskola.
- M. Nashchokina (Ed.). (2012). "Gor’koe-sladkoe. Mikhail Kuzmin i Konstantin Somov". pp. 550-570. Moscow. Progress-Traditsiia.
Multimedia Scholarship and Creative Works
- cocurator, Co-curator of the exhibition, "Fuoco e ghiaccio. L’Avanguardia russa, la Siberia e l’Est" [Fire and Ice. The Russian Avant-Garde Siberia and the East], scheduled to open in September, 2013, at the Palazzo Strozzi, Florence, Italy, 2012-2013
- compiler and author, Preparing catalogue raisonné of the Jose Marie Castané collection (Madrid) of Russian art , 2012-2013
- co-organizer, consultant and catalog author for exhibition of collection of Mikhail Baryshnikov at ABA Gallery, NY, 2011-2012
- curator, co-curator and consultant for exhibition of Russian stage designs from Bakhrushin Museum Moscow, fir the Theatre Museum, London, in 2014, 2012-2013
Honors and Awards
- Albert and Elaine Borchard Foundation: grant of $15,000 for USC-Russia Exchange, 2013-2014
- Recipient of the Order of Friendship from the President of the Russian Federation for the promiton of Russian culture in the USA, 2010-2011
- Fulbright Award, completion of research in Russiia on Leon Bakst, 2009-2010
- Borchard Award for study of Ferris collection, 2007-2008
- Casden Institute, USA, 2007-2008
- Fulbright Award, Study of the work of Leon Bakst in Russia, 2007-2008
- USC Zumberge Research and Innovation Fund Award, ASHSS, 2007-2008
Service to the Profession
Editorships and Editorial Boards
- General Editor, Experiment, 1990-