View Faculty Video
Jill L McNitt-GrayProfessor of Biological Sciences and Biomedical Engineering
Phone: (213) 740-7902
Office: PED 107
Biomechanics Research Lab
- A.B. Mathematics and Statistics, Coaching Certification, Miami University, 5/1980
- M.A. Biomechanics, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, 5/1985
- Ph.D. Biomechanics, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, 5/1989
- Professor, University of Southern California, 02/03/2006-
- Joint Appointment Biomedical Engineering, University of Southern California, 01/01/1989-
- Biomechanics Research Lab, Director, http://www.usc.edu/dept/LAS/kinesiology/biomech/index.htm
- Center for Robotics and Embedded Systems, http://cres.usc.edu/Research/labs.php
- Center for Excellence in Genomic Science, mentor-Genomic Research Experience for Undergraduates(GREU)
- Colburn School of Music, Collaborator
- Department of Veterans Administration, Researcher (WOC)
- Get SSet Sports Science, Engineering, and Technology Academy, Co-Director, http://www.sdsa.org/pub/sdsa_docs/programs/getsset.html
- Rancho Los Amigos National Rehabilitation Center, Consultant/Collaborator
- UCLA Dept of Music, Music Education, http://www.music.ucla.edu/People/Faculty%20bios/FHeuser.html
- USC Athletics, Biomechanics/Performance Consultant
- USC Center for Excellence in Teaching National Science Foundation Young Scholars Program, Mentor, http://www.usc.edu/admin/provost/cet/
- Lee, J., Flashner, H., McNitt-Gray, J. L. (2011). Lee, J., Flashner, H., & McNitt-Gray, J.L. (2011). Estimation of multibody kinematics using position measurements. Journal of Computational and Nonlinear Dynamics. Journal of Computational and Nonlinear Dynamics. Vol. January 2011
- J.L. Mc Nitt-Gray, J. J. (2011). Raina, S., McNitt-Gray, J.L., Mulroy, S., Requejo, P.S. (2011). Effect of increased load on scapular kinematics during manual wheelchair propulsion in individuals with paraplegia and tetraplegia. Human Movement Science.
- Munaretto, J. (2011). Munaretto, J., McNitt-Gray, J.L., Flashner, H., & Requejo, P.S. (2011). Effect of reaction force redirection on the upper extremity mechanical demand imposed during manual wheelchair propulsion. Clinical Biomechanics.
- Raina, S. (2011). Raina, S., McNitt-Gray, J.L., Mulroy, S., & Requejo, P.S. (2011). Effect of recovery patterns on wheelchair propulsion kinetics of users with paraplegia and tetraplegia. Journal of Spinal Cord Medicine.
- Tseng, Z. (2011). Tseng, Zhijie Jack, McNitt-Gray, J.L., Flashner, H., Wang, X., & Enciso, R. (2011). Model sensitivity and use of the comparative finite element method in mammalian jaw mechanics: mandible performance in the gray wolf, PLoS ONE, 6(4).
- McNitt-Gray, J. L. (2009). Requejo, P.S., Maneekobkunwong, S., McNitt-Gray, J.L., Adkins, R., & Waters, R. (2009). Influence of hand-rim wheelchairs with rear suspension on seat forces and head accelerations during curb descent landings. Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine, 41: 459-466.
- McNitt-Gray, J. L. (2007). Mathiyakom, W. *& McNitt-Gray, J.L. & Wilcox, R. (2007). Regulation of angular impulse during two forward translating tasks, Journal of Applied Biomechanics, 23, 149-61. Journal of Applied Biomechanics.
- Mathiyakom, W., McNitt-Gray, , Wilcox, R. R. (2006). Mathiyakom, W.*, McNitt-Gray, J.L. & Wilcox, R. (2006). Lower extremity control and dynamics during backward angular impulse generation in backward translating tasks, Experimental Brain Research, 169(3):377-88. Experimental Brain Research/Springer. Vol. 169(3), pp. 377-88.
- McNitt-Gray, (2006). McNitt-Gray, J.L., Requejo, P.S., & Flashner, H. (2006). Multijoint control strategies transfer between tasks, Biological Cybernetics. 94(6):501-10. Biological Cybernetics/Springer. Vol. 94(6), pp. 501-10.
- Mathiyakom, W., McNitt-Gray, , Wilcox, R. R. (2006). Mathiyakom, W.*, McNitt-Gray, J.L. & Wilcox, R. (2006). Lower extremity control and dynamics during backward angular impulse generation in forward translating tasks, Journal of Biomechanics, 39(6):990-1000. Journal of Biomechanics/Elsevier. Vol. 39(6), pp. 990-1000.
- Mathiyakom, W. (2004). Mathiyakom, W.*, McNitt-Gray, J.L., Requejo, P.S.*, & Costa, K.* (2004). Modifying center of mass trajectory during sit-to-stand tasks redistributes the mechanical demand across the lower extremity joints, Clinical Biomechanics. 20(1),105-111.
- McNitt-Gray, J. L. (2001). McNitt-Gray, J.L. Hester, D.M.E.,* Mathiyakom, W.,* & Munkasy, B.A.* (2001). Mechanical demand and multijoint control during landing depend on orientation of the body segments relative to the reaction force. Journal of Biomechanics. 34, 1471–1482.
- Heuser, F. (1993). Heuser, F. & McNitt-Gray, J.L. (1993). EMG potentials in trumpet players with asymmetrical mouthpiece placement, Medical Problems of Performing Artists, 8(3), 96-102.
- McNitt-Gray, McNitt-Gray, J.L., Koff, S.R. & Hall, B.L. (1992). The influence of dance training and foot position on landing mechanics, Medical Problems of Performing Artists, 7(3), 87-91.
- McNitt-Gray, Heuser, F.* & McNitt-Gray, J.L. (1991). EMG potentials prior to tone commencement in trumpet players, Medical Problems of Performing Artists, 6(2), 51-56.
- Multimedia, Multimedia data base for analyzing movement http://www.usc.edu/dept/LAS/kinesiology/biomech/gallery.htm, 06/01/1992-
- Mellon Mentoring Award for Mentorship of Undergraduate Students, 3/2010-
- President-Elect, President, Past-President American Society of Biomechanics, 8/25/2009-8/26/2012
- Zumberge Fellow for Interdisciplinary Research with Flashner, H., University of Southern California, 1998, 8/1/1998-12/31/1999
- USC Innovative Teaching Award, USC Center for Excellence in Teaching Innovative Teaching Award, 1992
- Winner of Prince Alexandre de Merode Award- Physical Sciences- International Olympic Committee, Medical Commission, 2002. Requejo P.S.*, McNitt-Gray, J.L., & Flashner, H. Flight phase joint control required for successful gymnastics landings. Presented by P.S. Requejo., 1988-1989
- Chair, WiSE-College Committee, 08/20/2009-
Academic Appointment, Affiliation, and Employment History
Description of Research
Summary Statement of Research Interests
Professor McNitt-Gray studies mechanisms organisms use to control and distribute mechanical load during goal-directed multijoint movements involving external loading.
biomechanics, multijoint movement, impact, motor control, neuroscience, mechanical engineering, injury prevention, performance, sports, dance, music, clinical populations, ergonomics, rehabilitation engineering
Affiliations with Research Centers, Labs, and Other Institutions
Multimedia Scholarship and Creative Works
Honors and Awards
Service to the University
- Department of Biological Sciences
- University of Southern California
- Allan Hancock Foundation Building
- Los Angeles, CA 90089-0371
- Phone: (213) 740 - 1109
- Email: email@example.com