Gerald BakusProfessor of Biological Sciences
Phone: (213) 740-5790
Office: AHF B4A
- M.A. Biology, Montana State University, 6/1957
- Ph.D. Zoology (marine), University of Washington, 6/1962
- Professor of Biology, USC, 09/01/1962-
- Staff Officer - Biology & Agriculture, National Academy of Sciences, 1974-1975
- Chief Biologist, Tetra Tech - Pasadena, CA, 09/01/1976-05/01/1979
- Natural history of Santa Catalina Island, Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, and Oregon. ; research on the systematics of marine sponges from the Madang region, Papua New Guinea, 2009-2010
- Bakus, G. J. (2011). Natural History of California. Denver, CO: Outskirts Press.
- Bakus, G. J. (2011). Natural History of Santa Catalina Island. Denver, CO: Outskirts Press.
- Bakus, G. J. (2007). Quantitative Analysis of Marine Biological Communities. New York, New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc..
- Bakus, G. J., 11 co-authors, 1. (2007). A comparison of some population density sampling techniques for biodiversity, conservation, and environmental impact studies. Biodiversity and Conservation. Vol. 16, pp. 2445-2455.
- Multimedia and Movies, 1. Natural history of California (multimedia) 2. Patagonia - natural history (movie), 2006-2007
- Numerous letters of recommendation for medical, dental, and pharmacy schools and summer programs, 2010-2011
- BISC 490 (2 units) Directed research project for Manny Meza (senior in BISC). This was done at the request by Prof. Herrera, Spring 2010
- 1. Hosted Dr. Sim (Korea) January 10-11. 2. Invited to be an Editor for the Journal of Biotechnology and Biomaterials. OMFCS Publ. Group, Westlake, Los Angeles. , 2010-2011
- BISC 193. Freshman Colloquim. Research Activities. Sept., Fall 2010
- Invited to be an Editor, Biotechnology and Biomaterials, 2010-
- U.S. Editor, Korean Journal of Systematic Zoology, 2009-2010
- Gave talks on the biology of Iceland on a cruise ship Le Boreal in Iceland. Sponsored by the USC Travel Office., 07/25/2010-08/05/2010
- Trained Dr. Kyung Jin Lee from Han Nam University, S. Korea, for one year. Ecology and marine sponges., 2006-2007
Academic Appointment, Affiliation, and Employment History
Tenure Track Appointments
Visiting and Temporary Appointments
Description of Research
Summary Statement of Research Interests
1. Travel to Santa Catalina Island, Arizona, Nevada and New Mexico to obtain photos and data for books in progress. 2. Sponges of Madang,Papua New Guinea.
Ecology, quantitative biology, marine sponges.
Multimedia Scholarship and Creative Works
Other Advisement or Time Devoted to Students
Service to the University
Other Service to the University
Service to the Profession
Editorships and Editorial Boards
Other Service to the Profession
- Department of Biological Sciences
- University of Southern California
- Allan Hancock Foundation Building
- Los Angeles, CA 90089-0371
- Phone: (213) 740 - 1109
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org