August 3, 2011
For the first half of the day, Dan and I went up the trail together. We both had different tasks, but I didn’t want to go alone because we had sighted a rattlesnake a couple days ago. Dan raked the trail while I used a better quality camera to take more pictures of the trail to put up on our poster and signs. During the later half of the day, we did lab work. We had started Tuesday’s sample around 1:37pm so we had to go back at the same time to take the 24-hour reading for the hydrometer and the thermometer. We didn’t start a new sample because we were scheduled to go to the herbarium the next day. So we wouldn’t be around to get the 24 -hour reading. Dan and I decided to take time on Saturday and Sunday to complete the soil texture analysis since our internship was winding down. We ended the day with another group meeting about signs and poster. I had contacted Envriosign, a sign company throughout the week and we had asked for an estimate for 6 signs. It turned out to be over our budget. So we were considering our options and deciding what we can get done and show as a deliverable at the same time leave behind a guideline so other people can show the trail or maintain it. We decided that it was best to at least get signs for the two trailheads, make drafts of laminated pamphlets, and complete a hiker’s guide about our trail. Also, Miller was gone half the day to help with the Conservancy remove fennel at Howland’s landing.
For more pictures, click here: Day53 Soil Analysis