Become an SI Leader!
Job Description, Qualifications & Application
The Supplemental Instruction (SI) Leaders who facilitate the SI Sessions are critical to the effectiveness of the program. SI Leaders are undergraduate students who have previously excelled in the targeted course. The leaders attend a mandatory training workshop at the beginning of each semester. Training includes topics such as how learning occurs as well as instructional strategies aimed at strengthening the student's overall academic performance. Leaders are trained to serve as group facilitators thus preparing students to become independent learners.
The SI Leader facilitates 4 to 5 fifty minute study sessions of the target course per week throughout the semester, using strategies learned through the SI Leader training and staff meetings. The SI Leader must attend all class meetings, take notes, do the homework, communicate with the faculty weekly, and read all the assigned material.
- The SI Leader regularly meets with the SI supervisor to discuss session strategies, debrief observations of SI sessions, and develop intervention strategies designed to encourage positive group interaction.
- The SI Leader plans review sessions of 2 hours minimum before exams and the final.
- The SI Leader assists with data collection to compare performance results of SI students with non-SI participants. This will include coordination with departmental staff, the SI supervisor and other staff.
- The SI Leader facilitates ongoing evaluations of SI sessions through the use of evaluation forms distributed to SI students in sessions. The leader will use these for self-evaluation.
- New leaders must attend a mandatory full day training session the week before classes begin.
- Returning leaders must attend a half-day training session the week before classes begin.
- Coordinate effective recruitment / marketing strategies with the SI program staff, departmental staff and faculty to encourage participation in the program.
- Assist in the hiring process by participating in interviews.
To be considered for SI leader position you must meet the following requirements:
- Cumulative GPA of 3.5 or greater.
- Complete target course at USC with B+ or better.
- Complete application form.
- Previous tutoring experience preferred but not required.
- Must maintain 6 units of registered USC course work.
- Jr or Sr status preferred - though not required.
Calendar for Hiring New Leaders to Start in the Spring of 2017
Friday, November 4.................................Spring commitments due from current leaders
Friday, November 11 ................................Applications from porspective new leaders due by 11 AM.
Tuesday, November 15-18..........................Interviews
Tuesday, November 22..............................New leaders announced
Open Positions for Spring 2017
Positions will be posted as it is know that they will be available
If you are interested in becoming an SI Leader, click here for an application.