Graduate admissions standards are competitive and based on evidence of an outstanding record in art history. USC requires that Ph.D. students be admitted to both the Graduate School and the Department of Art History. For more specific information about Art History graduate admissions, contact Jeanne Herman, Academic Advisor email@example.com.
The application deadline is December 1st for the following fall semester. Early consideration will be given to applications submitted by our preferential deadline of November 1st.
It is strongly recommended that all applications be submitted by November 1st. Because we receive a large number of applications and are subject to tight university fellowship deadlines, we need to start the process early. One of the problems with reviewing applications is that prospective students often submit the application by December 1st, but it can take months for the rest of the materials to arrive - which delays our review process. For this reason, it is important that the applicant follows up to be sure all additional material are submitted by the deadline. It is at the discretion of the Graduate Committee to review late applications received after December 1st.
Application for admission must be completed by December 1st, midnight, Eastern Standard Time, and it must be completed online. A completed graduate admissions application consists of the following:
- USC Graduate Admissions Application
- Three letters of recommendation
- Personal statement
- Resume or CV
- Writing sample
- One set of official transcripts of all prior college and university work
- One set of unofficial transcripts of all prior college and university work
- GRE Scores, no older than 5 years--USC's Institution code is 4852
- TOEFL scores--if applicable
- The Department of Art History also requires a supplemental application be submitted via the USC Dornsife Art History website. Department of Art History supplemental application
The fee to submit the graduate admissions application is non-refundable. Please see the graduate admissions site for fee waiver guidelines.
1. Graduate Admissions Application. Please note that there are two applications to submit; the USC application(usually available in early summer) and the Art History supplemental application. Both applications must be filled out online.
2. Letters of Recommendation. Three letters of recommendation must be submitted online by the recommender to graduate admissions. We do not supply forms for these letters of recommendation. Be sure that all letters are submitted to gradaute admissions by December 1st. If necessary to meet the deadline, please fax the letter directly to the Department of Art History at (213) 740-8971.
3. Personal Statement. The personal statement should describe your past academic experience, future academic goals, and specifically your interest in the USC Department of Art History. One to three pages should suffice. Please submit this statement online under the supporting documents section of the on-line USC application.
4. Please submit online to gradaute admissions your most recent resume or curriculum vitae.
5. Writing sample of your best work. Please submit one research paper or MA thesis under supporting documents of the graduate admissions application. Other acceptable papers include undergraduate essays, seminar papers, and published work. The graduate admissions application allows you to upload files of up to 1000 KB. The upload accepts most files (.doc, .pdf, etc). Please note that images will increase the size of your file.
Note: If your file is larger than 1000 KB, one option is to split up the file so that each part is under 1000 KB, as long as you upload the file in consecutive slots the break won't be visible. Also, if it looks like you are not going to have enough slots combine the smaller files that would add up to 1000 KB so that you can free up more slots.
6. Official Transcripts. Official transcripts of all prior college and university work are required. Please send directly to the USC Office of Graduate Admissions. All transcripts must be sent to graduate admissions by December 1st.
7. Unofficial Transcripts. Please upload unofficial copies of your transcripts into the supporting document section of your USC online application.
Graduate students accepted into our program are given funding packages, which includes Teaching Assistantships, renewable each year if the student continues in good standing.
Graduate Admissions Committee
Department of Art History
University of Southern California
3518 Trousdale Parkway, VKC 351
Los Angeles, CA 90089-0047